Need 2005 XR650L Tire Advice Please!

6 replies to this topic
  • chetwynd

Posted April 19, 2005 - 10:47 AM

Hi guys, I have a 2005 XR650L. I LOVE it. A really nice guy from these forums helped me do all of the modifications in my signature, but now I realize I need new tires. I'm running the stock ones, and clearly they suck.

So far, almost all of my riding has been on the street, but I will be taking it on a lot of dirt rides in the near future. Desert rides, logging road rides, that sort of thing. Probably not a lot of mud, but loose dirt and rocks, etc.

Can someone recommend good tires for me? I also don't know what sizes to get. Any help is MUCH appreciated! Not sure what other info you need, but I'm about 6'4 230lbs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2005 XR650L. Air snorkel removed, FMF Q2 pipe, smog junk gone, Keihin 158 main jet, 55 short pilot jet out 2 turns, needle shimmed, holes drilled out to 5/32, K&N filter, thermometer dipstick, etc...

• splat

Posted April 19, 2005 - 01:54 PM

Terra-Flex, Terra-Flex, Terra-Flex. It was made for the BRP. Just watch out for the unexpected hook up

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 19, 2005 - 05:08 PM

The 140-series MT21 is quite good as well, a bit better-mannered than the 'flex, and might be a better choice if you're more of a fire-road man than a mud-n-sand kinda guy.
The terrorflex can't be beat for all-out hookup, though!

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • freekr

Posted April 19, 2005 - 09:56 PM

chet-
I've got a '03 650l with 16k and my best recommendation is the IRC GP110-Its got all the road you can ride and is surprisingly a very good dry dirt tire.its also very quite,durable(approx. 3000mi+),gets great gas milage. Its truly a dual-sport tire.--Good Luck

• dabeyta3

Posted April 19, 2005 - 11:31 PM

The Tera-Flex is the ultimate DOT approved tire available. Its made for the big bikes. 150/90
www.intercotire.com/html/tera-flex.htm

• justicedone

Posted April 20, 2005 - 07:26 AM

I just put a Teraflex on my bike a few days ago and only ridden it like 5-6 mi.

Impressions:

It showed wear after only minimal mi. because of very soft composition

Its deffinatly much more suited for dirt thrashing and rock tossin' versus street thumpin'

It makes the bike a few inches taller, which is a pain since I am 6ft 0in.

It doesnt feel as fun and comfortable on roads like a good Dunlop etc.

I am gonna put some dirt on it this weekend and am sure it will shine big time in the hills...but if your planning to log a lot of street riding I wouldnt buy one.

Jim

• XR650L_Dave

Posted April 20, 2005 - 08:31 AM

The 'flex tempers a bit, and the rate of wear goes down quite a bit.

Dave

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.