GYT-R Flywheels

17 replies to this topic
  • 35yz450F

Posted April 19, 2005 - 09:47 AM

I'm shopping for a heavier flywheel for my 2004 Y450F. Does anybody know if the Yamaha GYT-R Off-Road flywheel would be the 8oz.? Does anyone have this flywheel on their 2004 and ride MX? What is its effect on clearing jumps right out of corners out of corners?

• Ga426owner

Posted April 19, 2005 - 12:41 PM

I am a little surprised you want this - unless you are a woods rider -

The GYTR weight is a 5oz -

I believe that Yam added the 5oz GYTR flywheel weight to the 2004 - it was not on the 2003 - I added it. Can someone verify for the 2004???? :naughty:

For MX you may not want to go that heavy unless you are a very light dude.....

Why do you feel you need it Too much rear wheel spin???

• grayracer513

Posted April 19, 2005 - 12:57 PM

According to Dr.D, the GYT-R Offroad flywheel equates roughly to 7 ounces of added weight.

His 6oz is the most popular one he has, and the GYT-R racing flywheel, which is about 5oz more than the stock '03 flywheel came as original equipment on the '04.

Dubach's description of a YZ450 with his 8oz on it is that it makes the engine "lazier, more like a Honda".

If you add flywheel weight, you will feel it most in the lower gears. All it does is give the engine a little more work to do before it accelerates anything else by making the rotating mass of the engine heavier. The engine still makes the same hp as before. In fourth, you won't know the difference, but in low, it will act like it's in a slightly higher gear, even though the rpms will be just like they were before.

I have a 4oz on mine, and if I can ever get to it, I'm planning on going heavier. Probably the GYT-R Offroad or the Dr.D 6oz.

• 35yz450F

Posted April 19, 2005 - 05:00 PM

I am a little surprised you want this - unless you are a woods rider -

The GYTR weight is a 5oz -

I believe that Yam added the 5oz GYTR flywheel weight to the 2004 - it was not on the 2003 - I added it. Can someone verify for the 2004???? :naughty:

For MX you may not want to go that heavy unless you are a very light dude.....

Why do you feel you need it Too much rear wheel spin???

I feel that now that I've got jetting worked out, I can't ride as fast. I'm finding that when I catch other riders, I end up side ways trying to pass them. Clearing obstacles is easier than ever though.

I rode my buddy's 2002 426 the same day and it feel really mellow and easy to ride. Still fast though.

I'll ride it as is for a little while and see if I get used to it.

• 35yz450F

Posted April 19, 2005 - 05:26 PM

Ga426owner, do you think you would be unhappy with little more flywheel?

Grayracer513, what kind of riding are you doing where you are considering going heavier?

• Ga426owner

Posted April 20, 2005 - 05:31 AM

Ga426owner, do you think you would be unhappy with little more flywheel?

Grayracer513, what kind of riding are you doing where you are considering going heavier?

Yes no more flywheel - for me - I ride MX only - The 03 has so much power that in stock form proved way too much wheelspin especially on hardpack even with my weight 195lbs - the 5oz GYTR is perfect for me and the DRD 4oz would be very good also - the bike hooks up so much better w/o any power loss! :naughty:
I still think that Yamaha added the 5oz for 2004 - see the parts list and compare the part numbers to verify.

Grey The weight of the GYTR flywheel I purchased from Yamaha is a 5 oz weight - unless they are falsifying the true weight
I was going to go with the DRD 4oz set up - until I realized that if I bought the GYTR it was a new flywheel and I could keep my stock flywheel w/o modifying it. This way having 2 flywheels

• grayracer513

Posted April 20, 2005 - 10:30 AM

Dave,

There are two different GYT-R flywheels. The fact that Yamaha rates them by their effective inertia weights, and not the added weight over stock, as the aftermarket does, makes it a little tough. Yours is the "5oz", the racing flywheel. They also offer an "offroad" flywheel that is around 7oz.

According to Dr.D, most people who ride mostly MX are happier with weight in the 4-6oz range, so that fits in with your take on it.

35yz450F,

The older I get, the more the mix of my riding shifts toward spending more time in the desert and trail riding and less on the track. I run gearing two teeth taller than stock, and I just think that the bike would be a little less of a challenge to keep lit with a little more rotating mass, that's all. I still like the explosive nature of the engine, and I don't want to move too far away from that. If I had a GYT-R racing 5oz, I might not be thinking of changing, but the 4oz is a little light, I think. I doubt I'd like the 8oz, though.

One thing about Dr.D is that he will let you swap straight across for a different weight if you don't like what you get from him. Contact him at Dubach Racing Development for the details.

• laminatemanmx23

Posted April 20, 2005 - 05:01 PM

i bought the flyweels and loved it. bike works better in corners where i had some stalling issues before. I am not sure about how many oz it is but i can check out what they are and let u know as i am selling my bikes and if your interested in my gyt-r flywheels i will sell them.let me know ...........mike

• 35yz450F

Posted April 21, 2005 - 11:54 AM

PM'ed you. :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jn52892627

Posted April 23, 2005 - 07:20 PM

I got the GYT heavy weight off road 8-9 oz. Works great even for moto or supercross. Helps to tame arm pump and rush out of corners. Bike is still so fast I am consider cam mod. 04 YZ 450. 40+ A rider.

• BlindSide

Posted April 23, 2005 - 10:31 PM

I've got the GYT-R "Off-Road" flywheel and love it. I do quite a bit woods riding, desert and motocross. So far so good.

• BC61

Posted April 24, 2005 - 07:17 AM

can the 450 fly wheel be used on a 01 426?

• grayracer513

Posted April 24, 2005 - 12:21 PM

No, I believe the stator assembly is different.

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 25, 2005 - 12:32 PM

Pardon for the noob question.

Are these GYT flywheels direct replacement bolt-ons and what do I need as far as special tools to do this work?

• 35yz450F

Posted April 25, 2005 - 12:36 PM

Yes, they are direct replacements. All you need special is a flywheel puller. About $15.

• MotoGoalie

Posted April 25, 2005 - 01:04 PM

Yes, they are direct replacements. All you need special is a flywheel puller. About $15.

Ah, thanks a bunch. :naughty:

• 35yz450F

Posted May 22, 2005 - 11:09 AM

Grayracer,

How do you like the new flywheel?

• grayracer513

Posted May 22, 2005 - 12:18 PM

Grayracer,

How do you like the new flywheel?

Some good, some I'm not sure. Only had it out once since I got it. I'm pretty sure I like it better overall than the 4oz I had before. Dr.D is going to exchange the 4oz for a 6oz at no charge other than shipping, in spite of the fact that I'm not the original purchaser. You gotta love people that run their businesses like that. I'll probably try a 6 out next. Based on riding the GYT-R 7oz once, I wouldn't want the Dr.D 8oz.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.