03 450 Clutch Actuator Question

7 replies to this topic
  • MxHuggy

Posted April 19, 2005 - 06:34 AM

I recently purchased the GYT clutch kit for my 03 450, I have installed the new plates but have not installed the longer actuator that comes with the kit. What is the easiest way to intall this?? Can I just pull it out from the oil seal and replace the seal or do I have to remove the entire clutch to get to it??

Thanks for the help. :naughty:

• grayracer513

Posted April 19, 2005 - 06:44 AM

You don't have to remove the entire clutch, but you do have to remove the pressure plate and draw the inner clutch push rod out far enough to let the actuator arm come up and out. With the plate removed, you may be able to rotate the actuator counter clockwise far enough to move the rod out of the way.

You'll love the clutch. It's a Hinson. :naughty:

• Lackey-92

Posted April 19, 2005 - 06:48 AM

You will need to remove the clutch pressure plate as the actuator arm has a notch in the end where the push rod contacts. It real easy to do. You can do this without draining the oil by leaning the bike over to the left and remove the small clutch side cover, then remove the 5 clutch spring bolts and springs, remove the pressure plate and pull the center push rod out a little bit, .5" is enough, now remove the actuator arm and insert the new arm, then reassemble everything. It should take about 15 minutes.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 19, 2005 - 08:51 AM

Ron let us know if it indeed lessens clutch pull.....I have heard both opinions on this.

David

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 19, 2005 - 01:57 PM

Two Fingers :naughty:

• MxHuggy

Posted April 19, 2005 - 09:01 PM

David,

Will be testing this at the track tomorrow but first impression is that it is much easier. I also re-bled my Hydraulic clutch so that did help a little. It is very smooth now :naughty:

• Ga426owner

Posted April 20, 2005 - 05:12 AM

David,

Will be testing this at the track tomorrow but first impression is that it is much easier. I also re-bled my Hydraulic clutch so that did help a little. It is very smooth now :naughty:

Heck Ron, that hydraulic clutch makes clutch pull a lot easier in the first place - I used to have a Hebo on a 02 WR426 sweet!

I am going to have to do some clutch work here in the next several months - thinking about that GYTR kit with the plates and a full Hinson set up like GreyRacer has - he seems to like it :naughty:

GreyRacer did you do the clutch arm mod or leave yours stock?

thanks
David

• MxHuggy

Posted April 20, 2005 - 06:17 AM

David,

Yeah, the Magura does smooth it out a little, but the longer arm does feel easier.

When I took my clutch apart I thought for sure that I would really need to replace the basket/pressure plate....but it was like new so I just did the plates. I am torn to because I have a 2003 and my original plan was to get a new bike every 3rd season. With the potential of the 2006 YZ having an Alluminum frame I thought that I would wait 1 more year.

Keeping the bike 1 more year means putting some $$$$$ into it. :naughty:

Aside from the clutch the only other thing I needed to fix was the water pump leak amd I went with the Boyeseen kit....very nice!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.