When doing auto-cam, should I.......

24 replies to this topic
  • Crabtree426

Posted April 19, 2005 - 05:32 AM

Should I replace any other parts? Are ther any known problem points in the motor? A friend mentioned the cam chain.

• Vibeguy

Posted April 19, 2005 - 06:47 AM

If you are going to remove your manual decomp system be sure to install the TT decomp plug. The $3 part that Yamaha sells won't stay in.

• grayracer513

Posted April 19, 2005 - 07:28 AM

Cam chain is a good idea. Be sure to check valve clearances after the new cam is in.

• Crabtree426

Posted April 19, 2005 - 08:32 AM

If you are going to remove your manual decomp system be sure to install the TT decomp plug. The $3 part that Yamaha sells won't stay in.

That's what I've been hearing so I ordered the TT plug yesterday.

• Crabtree426

Posted April 19, 2005 - 08:33 AM

Cam chain is a good idea. Be sure to check valve clearances after the new cam is in.

Do you know where the best place for shims is if I need them. Just thinking ahead. Thanks

• Crabtree426

Posted April 19, 2005 - 08:35 AM

Someone told me that the TT plug use to be like 5 or 6 bucks. It's 22 now, ooooooooooooooouch.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 19, 2005 - 09:49 AM

It's more $ now because it's anodized and because it comes with the seal.

• Btwick

Posted April 19, 2005 - 10:32 AM

I justified it cause Yamaha wanted $170 to do the cam swap, but with the help from the kind folks on TT, I did it myself. The Yamaha plug is $3 but *can* fall out, and I've heard of some just cutting off the decomp lever at the head and grinding off the tab that opens up the exhaust value. Free and won't come out..

• Crabtree426

Posted April 19, 2005 - 12:12 PM

It's more $ now because it's anodized and because it comes with the seal.

That would make sense then. Cool, it's worth the $ not to worry about it blowing out.

• Sylvain

Posted April 19, 2005 - 01:24 PM

Someone told me that the TT plug use to be like 5 or 6 bucks. It's 22 now, ooooooooooooooouch.

And to have it shipped to my location there was extra shipping fees. That's why I decided to make one. I took the measurement of the decomp shaft and machined the plug. It replaces the shaft without the valve actuator, and use the same seal. :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 19, 2005 - 02:19 PM

For shims, you can use either the Yamaha or CRF450 shims from the appropriate dealer.

The Yamaha plug has been used with a piece of aluminum angle bolted over it to retain it (tacky looking), or safety wired over (tackier still, and shaky, to boot). I'm sure that if you looked hard enough you could find a steel cup plug at an auto parts house that fit either the seal pocket or the shaft bore properly and use that. But the TT plug requires no research and looks cool. :naughty:

• Satch0922

Posted April 19, 2005 - 05:18 PM

just take the decomp mechanism out and saw the "lever" end off with a hacksaw and reistall it. Basically you have then made your own plug.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 19, 2005 - 09:38 PM

just take the decomp mechanism out and saw the "lever" end off with a hacksaw and reistall it. Basically you have then made your own plug.

This coming from the guy who looks for any excuse possible to add bling to his own bike :naughty:

Just get the TT decomp plug, it looks good and the $ go back into the site.

• Satch0922

Posted April 20, 2005 - 04:47 AM

Jealously is the sincerest form of flattery :naughty::naughty::D:D:D

• grayracer513

Posted April 20, 2005 - 10:52 AM

If you hack up the decomp shaft to make a bore plug (which is OK to do), you MUST remove the inboard end of the shaft that acts as a cam to lift the valve. If left in place, and assembled with no return spring, the manual decomp shaft could rotate itself with the engine running and contact the cam follower with possible disastrous results. Cut it off just past the groove for the retention bolt, where it steps down to a smaller diameter and turns half-round. Be sure none of it overhangs the cam follower.

• Satch0922

Posted April 20, 2005 - 01:06 PM

Good point GrayRacer! Some people actually add to the thread... :naughty:

• Crabtree426

Posted April 21, 2005 - 09:17 AM

Good point GrayRacer! Some people actually add to the thread... :naughty:

I guess that's why he's a Titanium member. Thanks GrayRacer.

• grayracer513

Posted April 21, 2005 - 09:23 AM

I guess that's why he's a Titanium member. Thanks GrayRacer.

No, I'm Ti only by virtue of having opened my mouth 2000 or more times. :naughty:

I was right once, it means nothing. :naughty:

Don't be diissin' Satch, now. :D (jk)

• RJB

Posted April 21, 2005 - 12:55 PM

No, I'm Ti only by virtue of having opened my mouth 2000 or more times. :naughty:

I was right once, it means nothing. :D

Don't be diissin' Satch, now. :D (jk)

...and Satch is only 11 post shy of being Ti too :naughty:

• Satch0922

Posted April 21, 2005 - 01:18 PM

just 9 short now ( sorry for the shameless post)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.