need some info on the yz450f

5 replies to this topic
  • the-redneck

Posted April 19, 2005 - 04:24 AM

i am sick of the problems with my honda atv and wanna get back on a bike.
how are these bikes throught the trails and how good is the stock shock?

• Vibeguy

Posted April 19, 2005 - 06:53 AM

The stock shock on the 426/450 is excellent and should have enough adjustment to dial it in for trail riding. This is just my opinion and depends on how tight the trails are but I think the 426 is probably better suited for trail riding than the 450. Keep in mind that they are bred to be MX bikes and you might want to look at the WR's if you are mostly trail riding.

• grayracer513

Posted April 19, 2005 - 07:40 AM

The YZ450 is an exceptional motorcycle. They're extremely reliable, too. However, as Vibeguy pointed out, they're a Real Race Bike, and are a little high-strung. But they're a lot of fun, too, and in the end it depends on how you like to ride. The earlier ones are the least suited for trail riding, but it's correctable. Add flywheel weight. If it's an '03 with a stock clutch, you'll want to smooth it out some with a Hinson or GYT-R clutch kit. The suspension is set up for MX with a 160-175 pound rider stock. The rear shock is generally though of as excellent, and the forks as pretty good.

WR's have a 5 speed with a lower first gear, and the e-start, but comes with 15-20 extra pounds.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • the-redneck

Posted April 19, 2005 - 07:45 AM

wide open trails and there is an mx track about a mile away from my house. i spend most of my time there. i dont want an e start because i hate dealing with batteries. whats the differance between 426 and the 450

• YuccaThumper

Posted April 19, 2005 - 09:15 AM

I love mine for trail riding and wide open desert. I had to re-spring the rear end because I am a fat ass. Now it is sprung for 230 lbs. and I love it!!

• grayracer513

Posted April 19, 2005 - 02:06 PM

whats the differance between 426 and the 450

10-20 pounds, depending on the specific year model, better forks on the '04, about 1-2 horsepower, depending on the dyno, one gear, and something like $1000. Or more. The 426 engine has a SLIGHTLY more civilized character to it.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.