WR valve clearance tool?

3 replies to this topic
  • creepy

Posted April 19, 2005 - 04:03 AM

I thought Id read someplace that yamaha had a tool for the WR and YZ for checking the valves that was narrower than normal to fit in the more compact head on these bikes. Anyone know a place I can buy one?
previous owner did some work on this bike and 3/5 valves are way off since he obviously used a standard gauge without even bending the tip for a straight draw. Ive got a shim kit on order also, since Ive got no idea whats in there now and dont have a micrometer small enough to measure shims. All the size markings are worn off =(
I get 100 psi on this motor which is about 70psi less than Id like to see. all the clearances are looser than normal, not tighter, so I dont think Ill see any compression benefit from this. might be I have to re-do the cylinder which previous owner probably screwed up :/

• clark4131

Posted April 19, 2005 - 04:54 AM

I just use a set of Motion Pro feeler gauges. They were only like $10 for a set of three. I also have a set from Sears, but they're much wider and tend to be a pain to use on a couple of the lobes...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JeffWR

Posted April 19, 2005 - 06:52 AM

How wide can you have to fit in there? This will be my first time checking and I would hate to have the thing apart and not get my standard feeler gage in there. It is the flat fan out type from Sears.
Thanks for the guidance,
Jeff

'05 WR450

• jetdave

Posted April 19, 2005 - 10:01 AM

http://www.griotsgar....jsp?&SKU=F804P

I hear these gauges are the way to go. I havent ordered mine yet.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.