Your opinion on XL600R

3 replies to this topic
  • Kev102189

Posted April 18, 2005 - 07:23 PM

I've been looking into XL600s lately, because I'm going to buy a street legal bike in a month or so to save gas $. I'm 6'1, and 190 lbs., I've been riding for several years (I ride about two hours every day in the summer), so I think I can handle the power. I have a trail bike, a KLX 300 that I love for the trails, so this will be probably 50 percent town, 30 percent fire roads, and 20 percent highway/freeway. When I say fire roads, I'll probably be going around 50-60 mph on rough dirt roads. I'm wondering if you reccomend something different for what I'm doing. My budget is $1200, and the years I was looking at were between 1985 and 1987. I'm not sure if it would be better for me to buy a converted XR600, or just go with an XL. Any suggestions or other reccomended bikes? BTW, I HATE working on my bikes, so the more reliable the better.

Thanks,
Kevin

• smashinz2002

Posted April 18, 2005 - 08:02 PM

I have a friend who owns an '86 XL600, he's had it for many years, good reliable bike. You don't have to worry about the power, it's mellow.
'85 and '86 bikes have the dual carb setup, be aware of that. Not sure of the '87.
If you find one in great shape that won't require any work, expect to pay at least 1800, on up to around 2300, depending on mileage. You could be hard pressed to find one for 1200 that doesn't need some work.
Good luck!
L.L.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motosprtman

Posted April 20, 2005 - 10:36 AM

Had an 87 and it too had the dual carbs. Power to me seems almost the same between the 87 XL600R and the new XR650L, 650L seems to have a bit more torque and broader power but a little flat in the middle. But then again mine is new (300 miles on it) and still corked.

• Mantrasonica

Posted April 20, 2005 - 12:51 PM

I have an 87 XR600 that I bought last January for $500. I've been flogging it every weekend since and have had zero problems with it. If you can find one cheap that still is decent condition I say jump on it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.