Which Set Of Bars to Buy?

18 replies to this topic
  • DesertWR

Posted April 18, 2005 - 02:57 PM

Well I ran my 1st desert race in over 23 years this weekend and discovered under competition that my stock Renthals are way too uncomfortable. Besides me being a dumbass and signing up for two loops :naughty: (the 2nd loop whooped my ass) I found that my hands are too low and it really hurts the wrist over along period of time. I have a GPR stabilizer so I'll need a set of bars and 3 clamp that my GPR will fit on. Next time it's 1 loop for me!!

• RCannon

Posted April 18, 2005 - 03:02 PM

The pro Taper Henry/Reed bend is very nice on the YZ's. It is taller and a bit more straight than the stock bars.

Keep in mind that many of the aftermarket clamps allow a person to move the bars foreward. At 5'10" I appreciate the roomier feel. I can only imagine what the taller forks feel like.

• un450azul

Posted April 18, 2005 - 03:36 PM

I agree 2 loop is an azzkicker if you haven’t' raced for a while (I went 19 years).

Before my first race I put a Pro Taper 1-1/8 w/ PT top clamp. After the race I ordered a GPR and found that the top clamp would have to be modified on the PT to fit the GPR so instead I bought the package that includes the Applied Triple Clamp for fat bars. The Pro Tapers came highly recommended from all the young ‘ricky racers’ down at the cycle shop.

I also went with the V1 standard instead of the V2 with an inch riser. At 6’0” my bars are at a very comfortable setting.

• vmxr

Posted April 18, 2005 - 05:10 PM

FWIW I'm 5/10" and really like the Renthal Windham bend. However, I run 7/8ths bars so I can use the cross bar for all my course layout equipment. If you are much over 5'10' the Windhams may be too low for you.

• mmi100sguy

Posted April 18, 2005 - 06:18 PM

If you are much over 5'10' the Windhams may be too low for you.

well, i'm 6'1 and i usually run the cr hi but i went with the windhams for my wr and they work fine. the windhams are at 99mm height & the cr hi is 95
and about 8 mm diffrence in pullback (whindam is less)

the cr hi is an old school desert racer bend, it works very nice

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 18, 2005 - 07:15 PM

I had the Henry/Reed Pro Tapers. They were awesome. I had once thought that I had bent them, but upon removing them from the bike, they were striaght. I now have the Carmicheal(sp) Renthal Twinwalls. I totally love them. For some reason they feel alittle better to me, but I am not sure why. Plus I love the way they look. I would think either one would be great for you, just get a comfy bend to fit your style. Good luck. :naughty:

• banffboy

Posted April 18, 2005 - 08:04 PM

I like the Renthal Jimmy Button Hi's. Good for the taller guys :naughty:

• tp3dxf

Posted April 18, 2005 - 10:48 PM

Well I ran my 1st desert race in over 23 years this weekend and discovered under competition that my stock Renthals are way too uncomfortable. Besides me being a dumbass and signing up for two loops :naughty: (the 2nd loop whooped my ass) I found that my hands are too low and it really hurts the wrist over along period of time. I have a GPR stabilizer so I'll need a set of bars and 3 clamp that my GPR will fit on. Next time it's 1 loop for me!!

First off welcome back to dez racing. So Cal M/C is always looking for new members and if your racing D-37 dez swing by our camp and hang out for a bit. PM me for more info.

I race a 01 WR426 with a D1H upper clamp and a GPR with Pro tapers. Great set up. In the dez your always standing and I can see how your stock Renthals are to low.

I run Protapers the Windham bend. They have more rise then almost all other bars. That along with the D1H upper clamp on a V1 GPR is a great set up for me. I think the Pastrana bend in a Protaper may have even more rise.

Welcome back to the sport have fun that is what it's all about. Run a couple of one loopers to get back in the groove. After that go two loops.

Look for So. Cal M/C out in the dez. Welcome back to dez racing join a club and have fun!

• mousemeat

Posted April 18, 2005 - 11:34 PM

go sit on other peoples bikes and see what feels good

other than that, close your eyes, reach out for your bars and see where your hands end up in relation to your grips. Then look at the tables of dimensions for renthal bars and see which one suits you the best.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted April 19, 2005 - 04:58 AM

Here's a vote for the Pro Taper Hawkins Woods High bars...SC

• kirkw

Posted April 19, 2005 - 04:57 PM

At 5'10" I run Protaper CR mids with my Scotts Damper and tripple clamps. Seems just about right tome as a friend has bars that are a touch higher and not as comfortable. Since it is basically personal preference, I second the motionto go and sit on a few bikes and find out what feels good for you.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted April 20, 2005 - 07:11 AM

Des, I too had the same impression of the stock Renthals. I didn't like them at all. If I rode sitting down on fire roads all day they would be great but when I stand it feels like the bars are in my lap (even for a short guy like me). I have the Henry/Reed ProTapers with a BRP TC, much better. What I miss is my adjustable TP TC that I had on my 03, talk about comfort...

• xcracer123

Posted April 24, 2005 - 10:53 PM

Might want to try the Fasst Flex Bars. My buddy uses them and loves them. You would probably have to mount your stabilizer on your lower triple clamp though. Here's the link.....
http://www.fasstco.c...flexx_bars.html

• Slowmotion426

Posted April 24, 2005 - 10:58 PM

I'm 6'3" so I run the Paul Bunyon Hi Bars from Ronco and the Babe the Blue Ox ballsavers on my seat cover....

• kincade

Posted April 25, 2005 - 07:44 AM

Anyone here about 5'8" and have a recommendation on bars? Most of the recommendations I see are for tall guys!

• tp3dxf

Posted April 25, 2005 - 10:34 AM

I am the height as you. I stand up a lot and love the Protaper Windham bend. I like tall bars since I ride standing over long distance in the dez. I also run a GPR stabilizer.

• DesertWR

Posted April 25, 2005 - 11:51 AM

I am the height as you. I stand up a lot and love the Protaper Windham bend. I like tall bars since I ride standing over long distance in the dez. I also run a GPR stabilizer.

I went with the Henry/Reed protapers. The price was right-I took em off my buddies wrecked 450. No damage to the bars! Bought an applied 3 clamp and mounted his GPR (his was better than mine). It's sort of nice having a parts bike lying around :naughty: Although he's not real thrilled about it. They feel good, but the ride will tell. I'm going to try and make the Dual Euro on May 8th if possible to give her a whirl. :naughty:

• Canuck

Posted April 25, 2005 - 12:19 PM

I like the Renthal Jimmy Button Hi's. Good for the taller guys :naughty:

second the jimmy button hi bends. great bar for big guys

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted April 25, 2005 - 07:52 PM

Everything he said....

I want to say that my new Protapers are Windham/Reed instead of what I previously wrote (Henry/Reed). I too am 5'8 and love tall bars..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.