My 650L new look!!

34 replies to this topic
  • Jeff650

Posted April 25, 2005 - 05:34 PM

That thing looks pretty good, what type rear tire is on it and is it DOT approved, I see you have replaced the exhaust, r u interested in getting rid of the stock one, Im looking for a baffler? thanks, jeffdowling@yahoo.com

• rokklym

Posted April 25, 2005 - 08:02 PM

I got my Clarke 4.7 tank today and got it installed. Pretty easy job. Looks pretty good and feels good while sitting on the bike. I'll try to take some good pics when it stops raining.
I might do the stiffening mod, mainly due to the fact that that little bar the supply you with does nothing really and the old shroud mounts are still there so &%$#@!? :naughty:

Oh, on the Clarke tank. Mine didn't come with a vent hose and the cap makes it look like you would use one. What do you use for the hose and where do you route it?

• XR Dude

Posted April 26, 2005 - 05:37 AM

Hi guys. I'm gonna put a clarke tank on my 05 L. I can't take 80 miles per tank anymore. My questions is this, is there an advantage other than more fuel capability between the clarke 4.0 and the 4.7? Why would anyone go with the 4.0 if the 4.7 has the same fit or is the smaller one a little narrower for offroad riding etc? Any input would be appreciated as I can't find any data between the two. Martin, what color did you choose the red or orange red, your color match looks great. Thanks fellas.

• Misfit

Posted April 26, 2005 - 08:26 AM

Check mine out its got the clarke 4.7 on it. :naughty: I think im gonna order them graffix also, I'm just worried they will bubble up right away like the ones i put on before. :naughty:

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 26, 2005 - 08:29 AM

I might do the stiffening mod, mainly due to the fact that that little bar the supply you with does nothing really and the old shroud mounts are still there so &%$#@!? :naughty:

Check out my garage for my idea for the 4.0 bracing. I've seen people use flat strap too, going from the tank lobe to the shroud tab(s) since the 4.7's spar is located differently.

Oh, on the Clarke tank. Mine didn't come with a vent hose and the cap makes it look like you would use one. What do you use for the hose and where do you route it?

Fuel vent hose about 18" long. Run it down the void in the steering tube, over or under the crossbar.

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 26, 2005 - 08:33 AM

My questions is this, is there an advantage other than more fuel capability between the clarke 4.0 and the 4.7? Why would anyone go with the 4.0 if the 4.7 has the same fit or is the smaller one a little narrower for offroad riding etc? Any input would be appreciated as I can't find any data between the two. Thanks fellas.

Mainly aesthetics, but price and riding conditions are also considerations. 4 gallons is plenty (heavy) for the type of riding I do. Anything (Clarke, IMS, Acerbis) is an improvement over the stock thimble of a tank.

• rokklym

Posted April 26, 2005 - 05:08 PM

Mainly aesthetics, but price and riding conditions are also considerations. 4 gallons is plenty (heavy) for the type of riding I do. Anything (Clarke, IMS, Acerbis) is an improvement over the stock thimble of a tank.

The reason I went with the 4.7 is because I know I'll need the range, and since your paying that much for a different tank, might as well get one thats big. I don't know if I could justify $170 for an extra gallon.
regarding the weight, well you don't have to fill it all the way up if your planning on doing some crazy stuff.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR-Det

Posted April 27, 2005 - 03:03 PM

I wonder if the seat cover for that year XR600 would fit a 2000+ XR650L model...

anyone know?

thx again :naughty:

I wonder that too but looks like its not available anymore anyway

http://www.denniskir...05&skuId=450767

If they had listed it available for closeout price I would have just ordered it...

Det

• michaeln

Posted April 27, 2005 - 04:55 PM

I have a CEET all black seat cover that is supposed to be for an XR600R on my XR650L and it fits perfectly.

Posted Image

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 27, 2005 - 05:04 PM

The reason I went with the 4.7 is because I know I'll need the range, and since your paying that much for a different tank, might as well get one thats big.

Why? The stock tank is only 2.6 gallons. A 4.0 gallon tank gives an extra 60+ plus miles. That's a big improvement over stock. If you are always riding remote areas than you'll need more than .7 more gallons to keep going.

I don't know if I could justify $170 for an extra gallon.
regarding the weight, well you don't have to fill it all the way up if your planning on doing some crazy stuff.

Right, so why have a larger tank if you aren't filling it up all the way? That doesn't make sense either. If you ride street, then the extra weight doesn't matter. The 4.0 works well for off-road for an already too heavy dirt bike.

• XR-Det

Posted April 27, 2005 - 05:54 PM

Hey Martin,

thanks for the picture, you just reminded me that my bare red IMS tank needed something ;-)) I went ahead and ordered the same. I like it the best too :naughty:

How is that decal holding up? No bubbling???

Det

• rokklym

Posted April 27, 2005 - 06:35 PM

Why? The stock tank is only 2.6 gallons. A 4.0 gallon tank gives an extra 60+ plus miles. That's a big improvement over stock. If you are always riding remote areas than you'll need more than .7 more gallons to keep going.

Right, so why have a larger tank if you aren't filling it up all the way? That doesn't make sense either. If you ride street, then the extra weight doesn't matter. The 4.0 works well for off-road for an already too heavy dirt bike.

I guess theres lots of different ways to look at the situation. The 4.0 is a great looking tank also and sure would help the bikes range. For me, If I'm going to go out trail riding around here, I'm not going to fill it up. If I'm going to be putting lots of miles on, I will..gives me more flexibility.

• rokklym

Posted April 27, 2005 - 06:54 PM

Heres a couple pics of mine.
http://i2.photobucke.../rokklym/d1.jpg

http://i2.photobucke.../rokklym/d3.jpg

• Xr650LMartin

Posted April 28, 2005 - 04:58 AM

Hey Martin,

How is that decal holding up? No bubbling???

Det

Its holding up very good! No bubbles so far! It's a bit tricky to bend the sticker to fit right on the upper part of the tank! The vynil is very thich! A little heat will soften the vinyl!!

• XR-Det

Posted April 28, 2005 - 06:16 AM

Its holding up very good! No bubbles so far! It's a bit tricky to bend the sticker to fit right on the upper part of the tank! The vynil is very thich! A little heat will soften the vinyl!!

I hope it works for me as well as yours, looks really sweet on the picture :naughty:

I really wasn't sure about it after reading all the negative posts about decals and plastic tanks but for the closeout price I'll go ahead an try it...

Thanks for the info :naughty:

Det

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.