lots of oil, cam half moon rubber?

5 replies to this topic
  • Brettv

Posted April 18, 2005 - 05:18 AM

G'day guys, after riding today for about half an hour i got home and noticed heaps of oil dripping from the bike, it was sprayed all over the left side of the engine. luckily there was still enough in there as to not drop below low on the dipstick
on further inspection i found that the left half moon rubber cam cap thing had become disloged i oushed it back in place. would this cause a lot of oil to spray out? if the cam cover was open because of it?
any ideas, cheers - Brett

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted April 18, 2005 - 06:00 AM

Yep, that would cause it. I would remove the cam cover, and reseat the entire gasket, including the two half moon plugs. Use a dab of Silastic to hold them in place (just a dab), while you re-install the cam cover. Top up oil, and you should be right. :naughty:

• Brettv

Posted April 19, 2005 - 02:56 AM

excellent. thanks for your reply Chris, thought that might be the case

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Math

Posted April 19, 2005 - 07:00 AM

If there is dammage, go by the book and buy a new one. Clean the surface of the head it comes in contact with and install. Proper torque for the two allen key bolts on the top of the head cover is 7.2 foot x pound (about 85 inch x pound). While you're at it, why not checking your valves...

• R_Little

Posted April 19, 2005 - 07:14 AM

Make sure your crankcase breather is not pinched.
To much crankcase pumpin presure causes the moons to pop.

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted April 19, 2005 - 01:15 PM

Exactly over filling the oil can create that kind of pressure. Lets just say showing up late to a race and cutting some corners/being in a hurry might cause this to happen.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.