Clutch baskets: PE vs Hinson

16 replies to this topic
  • biznet1

Posted April 17, 2005 - 02:08 PM

I know the Hinson is a good basket, but the PE is considerably less, and it is a billet style as well. Any opinions or first hand knowledge with the PE basket?

• RCannon

Posted April 17, 2005 - 03:08 PM

Personally, I like Hinson. The people there, the owners, are excellent when it comes to customer service. Honestly, I would rather deal with the Hinson folks than almost any other aftermarket supplier.

• 02YZ426

Posted April 17, 2005 - 08:34 PM

Well I dont have any first hand experiance with the PE basket, but I am running a full Hinson setup that is great. I would recommend it over PE only because I have never heard of PE and Hinson has a reputable name in the buisness.

Posted April 17, 2005 - 09:25 PM

same here, i have just the basket. i wouldnt skimp on something as important as your clutch. i almost got the talon but not many people on here knew about it so i just went with something that has been proven. it's worth it.

• Fastest1

Posted April 18, 2005 - 07:29 AM

PE "Performance Engineering". They have been making parts for many years and do a good job. I am not sure of their baskets from experience but I would bet it is a quality product. Wiseco makes a good one also and I believe from their forging process, theirs is the hardest. I run a Hinson myself and have had 0 problems.

• Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted April 18, 2005 - 08:21 AM

I ordered the PE last friday from Motosports Outlet for $139.
I'll let you know what I think of build quality when I get it later this week, but I've only heard good things about them.

• biznet1

Posted April 18, 2005 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

• bedell99

Posted April 18, 2005 - 10:11 AM

I have the PE basket. Works we'll. Does not include the back plate. So don't damage yours when removing it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted April 18, 2005 - 10:14 AM

I have the PE basket. Works we'll. Does not include the back plate. So don't damage yours when removing it.

Neither does the Hinson or any of them, right?
Is the drilling process a pain?

• teamtoxic

Posted April 18, 2005 - 11:58 AM

Save the cash and get the PE. I've heard nothing but good about their baskets. I replaced the stock basket on my '00 426 after one year of riding with an el cheapo $90 "Magnum" billet clutch basket. Rode for 3 years with it...absolutely no problems. Now the bike it up for sale and sure to offer the next owner years of riding pleasure. Don't waste your money on the Hinson unless you find an incredible deal somewhere. As long as it's billet, you know it has to be way better than the stock cast basket.

• bedell99

Posted April 18, 2005 - 05:28 PM

Actually tonight, I just finished working on my clutch. No wear at all on the PE. I was actually surprised. It was so easy to replace the clutch basket. I do have a recommendation though, buy the hinson clutch cushions. Mine where cracked.

• Guest_BrandonV_*

Posted April 21, 2005 - 12:02 PM

Just received the PE unit today and am very impressed by build quality. I wont have a ride report until mid May though......
Seems like a top notch peice to me.

• Fastest1

Posted April 21, 2005 - 06:30 PM

Are they using cushions instead of springs in your clutch baskets?

• Skolar

Posted April 22, 2005 - 06:35 AM

I am unable to pull the clutch out (bike is stored offsite), so if anyone else can answer that question for the 2000 it would be much appreciated for the rest of us.

• Fastest1

Posted April 22, 2005 - 10:34 AM

I was just curious about yours, mine is a 2000 and has springs.

• RideRaceLive123

Posted February 04, 2006 - 11:40 AM

I know this thread is old.

But any reports on the PE clutch basket yet?

• Pincushion

Posted February 04, 2006 - 02:50 PM

I've got about 500-600 miles on mine without an issue. I cant comment on the build quality vs. Hinson, but I can say the build quality is excellent. Much better than the stocker and I'm sure costs less too. At $139 there's no reason to buy stock if you need a basket.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.