Skid Plate Recommendations

25 replies to this topic
  • WaGuy78

Posted April 17, 2005 - 09:43 AM

Any of you guys know of any good, LARGE aftermarket skid plates for an 05 450? I think I have seen some that cover the sides of the engine/clutch cover?

Thanks!

• Khari

Posted April 17, 2005 - 10:21 AM

I have the eline. I recommend it highly.
http://www.elineacce...skidplates.html

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted April 17, 2005 - 10:26 AM

I have the "Utah Cycle Sport" unit and it fits great and is easy to remove when nessesary. Never had a problem with it. Had one one my Wr 400 before the WR 450 :naughty:
Jim

• clark4131

Posted April 17, 2005 - 11:04 AM

Ditto on the Utah Cycle Sport plate. Well made and beefy as hell. I thought about a carbon fiber plate, but something made from cf that definitely will take abuse is not my idea of money well spent. On a bike that was strictly for closed track use, then maybe, but not for banging around the desert...SC

• WaGuy78

Posted April 17, 2005 - 11:41 AM

Is the Utah plate heavy?

• firezwr426

Posted April 17, 2005 - 12:08 PM

another vote for the utah sport cycle... :naughty:
http://www.utahsportcycle.com/
I wouldn't call it a lightwieght by any means...

• 99wr400

Posted April 17, 2005 - 12:12 PM

I use a Devol skid plate, it seems to be well built and has taken quite a few hard hits, but the "wings" on it dont cover the water pump as well as they should, I managed to get a good scrape on my water pump even with the skid plate... I don't reccomend the devol unit for anyone riding in ricky conditions.

• stonewall

Posted April 17, 2005 - 02:11 PM

Utah Sport Cycle :naughty: :naughty: :D
Super strong and the fit is perfect. Here's a pic of one on my 05.
Posted Image

• xcracer123

Posted April 17, 2005 - 06:22 PM

I use a Moose. Fitment was good and the price was right. I'd probably go with Devol or Badger Products next time though.

• mtrablue

Posted April 17, 2005 - 06:53 PM

the utah unit is very good. a bit of warning, put some small pieces of inner tube between the frame and skid plate. that big chunk of aluminum will magnify the wr's engine noise. you'll think the motor is comming apart.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted April 17, 2005 - 09:34 PM

Utah Sport Cycle
Super strong and the fit is perfect. Here's a pic of one on my 05.
http://img.villageph.../IWFPZ-yam6.jpg

Cool pic, thanks that looks great. Are those Unibiker rad guard on there.

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted April 18, 2005 - 02:48 AM

I've got a devol skidplate on my 04. The bolts that came with it were kinda disappointing (bottom one was barely long enough and the 2 on the front seem to be made of butter) I'll probably change the bolts the next time I take it off.

The skidplate itself fits and looks great, I'd buy it again if I had it to do over.

• DesertWR

Posted April 18, 2005 - 07:40 AM

I've got a devol skidplate on my 04. The bolts that came with it were kinda disappointing (bottom one was barely long enough and the 2 on the front seem to be made of butter) I'll probably change the bolts the next time I take it off.

The skidplate itself fits and looks great, I'd buy it again if I had it to do over.

Devol--Took some hard hits Sunday at the race and no problems at all. The bolts in the center need to be longer but thats not a problem-Buy longer bolts :naughty:

• jayled

Posted April 18, 2005 - 09:46 AM

I went with the white brothers skid plate. It fits perfectly and is heavy duty.
Only problem is they FORGOT the oil drain hole. My jig saw kept kicking back at me while cutting it out which made it a royal PITA.
Be sure I will be calling my parts guy and get him on the phone with WB tomorrow.

• vmxr

Posted April 18, 2005 - 10:05 AM

I would recommend the eline carbon fiber plate. I have managed to destroy many different brands of aluminum skid plates over the years, but the eline has been absolutely indestructable. Its also lighter than aluminum and has a very large coverage area.

• motojason

Posted April 18, 2005 - 10:43 AM

I have an MSR skid plate on my 05 WR450. Fit is good, and it has an oil drain hole. It looks very similar to the Utah Sports unit from what I can tell by the pictures on this post. The MSR is about $60 less than a carbon e-line. I bet the carbon e-line weights a lot less though. The engine noise is definitely louder with a full aluminum unit like the Utah Sports or MSR plate. Protection seems adequate, certainly better than the stock parts.

• jayled

Posted April 18, 2005 - 11:38 AM

I have never used an eline skid but I have had no luck with their other products. Carbon fiber can take a hit and look fine but in reality all the fibers have come loose and the case behind it is now leaking. I've had eline case guards and frame guards. THe framd guards wore through in just a few rides. The case guards may have worked from small impacts but forget brushing up against a rock. The skids look very thick so maybe this isn't an issue.

• vmxr

Posted April 18, 2005 - 12:29 PM

My eline skid plate has taken many hits including several hard case-outs on both sharp and round rocks while jumping down rocks ledges. The only result was very light surface scratching. There is no evidence of fiber loosening.

I have occasionally done the same thing with aluminum skip plates over the years, at best they were severely deformed and in a couple of cases I had bent frame tubes.

• WaGuy78

Posted April 18, 2005 - 12:31 PM

Wow, lots of good info here...Thanks guys! :naughty:

Now the hard part...deciding which one I want to go with. :naughty:

• new2blu

Posted April 19, 2005 - 05:13 PM

Utah Sport Cycle also. Great frame/ engine coverage.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.