05 yz450??

2 replies to this topic
  • ncmountainman

Posted April 17, 2005 - 08:30 AM

i'm considering upgrading to a 05yz when the 06's come out(if i can get a good enough deal) just about all of the go fast goodies on my 04 wr will work on the 05 yz. and the prices should plummet in june if they announce the alum frame for 06. so all that said i have a couple questions for the yz overlords :naughty:
1. is the shock the same physically,and if so were there enough improvements in it for 05 to justify keeping it instead of using the revalved one i have?
2.i know they changed the trannie a little in 05 did the spacing change(i was wonder if it got a little wider between gears?) the lack of 5th does not worry me as i never use it in the woods anyhow. i also plan to use a rekluse clutch and gear down a little,so the tall 1st is ok also.
3.will the 04 yz upper triple clamp fit the 05,as i have a brand new hurricane laying around.
4. are the tank and seat for the 04 yz the same as the 05?
5.what is the actual weight(not claimed) of the 05 wet without gas?
6. and one more, i've heard several times now that although the forks were an improvement for 05 that they still had an issue with something (other than they're harder to tune) if so is it correctable? i ride HS in deep woods so plushness is key but they also slip in some mx sections,so it needs to take a hit while being plush. is this possible to achieve with that fork?
i appreciate any help, i really want the 06 but i don't think its financially possible :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted April 17, 2005 - 08:34 AM

1. shock valving is different
2. Tranny ? I do not know
3. 04 clamps will also fit the 05
4. MXA claimed the 450F to weigh 228
5. Tank and seat on the 05 is the same as the 04
6. The 05 forks are nice and an improvement over the 04. HOWEVER they are more difficult to work on and a bear to blead the inner chamber properly due to design. They work great but you may want to save yourself the headache and send them out for revalve and oil change.

• ncmountainman

Posted April 18, 2005 - 05:25 AM

thanx satch,the primary drive gear ratio is what changed,from 2.82:1 to 2.65:1, so does that affect the gear spacing at all or just change the clutch rpm? so the shock is the same size just revalved? oh i forgot one thing, will my 18" rim from my 04 wr fit on the 05 yz,if i use the wr sprocket and rotor? i really appreciate the help,as i need to convince the wife that i won't be spending so much on aftermarket if i can change everything over :naughty:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.