426 Cam Mod (need help)?

3 replies to this topic
  • LopeMX

Posted April 17, 2005 - 08:22 AM

I know this topic has been gone into great lengths, but I need advive. With having Knee problems and having to wear Knee Braces, it gets real hard to start my 426 if I stall or fall while on the track! I've heard soo much about the Cam Mod to help starting. Is this something that I should consider? Can Anyone PLEASE inform me of what I need to do to implement this Mod? Any and all the parts that are required and what the cost might be? Also, any sites that may help! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE! :naughty:

• Satch0922

Posted April 17, 2005 - 08:31 AM

you should refer to the post that is "stickied" to the top of this forum. Also this will get you going:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scotty426

Posted April 17, 2005 - 06:44 PM

The hotcams exhaust cam will cost $170 (direct or through Rocky Mountain), the 450 cam about $100 from various mail order dealers. You need the exhaust side only. You need to change the shims under the valve buckets($6 X 2). To do this check the clearance with an angled feeler Gage. My '02 wants .2mm to .25mm on the exhausts (different from the intakes). If you want to pull out the stock decomp lever, you need a plug from the dealer, or you can just leave the mechanism in there and pull the cable out. $4 for the plug. That's it. The valve cover gasket is reuseable. Some guys agonize over YZ or WR valve timing. I guess the WR is more advanced for good low torque and the YZ is one tooth later for more mid-high (guess). I bought Hotcams, set it up like the picture (YZ time) and it lit on the 2nd kick. No trouble. If I want more power later, I'll buy the intake cam. If you go 450 cam the sprocket tooth sizes are different, but a 1000 guys dropped it in with no trouble. Either will really soften up that kick-over. I love it. Not only does it save me the occasional embarrassment of jumping on the kicker and hanging motionless in mid-air, it gives me one less step when time is sometimes crucial. Occasionally, I stall it on a hill and need it restarted fast. I also recommend the Dr D hotstart lever (moved to the right handlebar). These 2 things give me confidence and speed of re-light when I'm on an ugly hill. No fiddling................well, less fiddling. Good luck to you brother. Message one of us if you want more nitty gritty.

• 02YZ426

Posted April 17, 2005 - 08:43 PM

I bought the HotCam from these guys for $159.99 http://www.moto-man....tml?id=YZY8QPDs

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.