Re-building 426 Engine.

2 replies to this topic
  • LopeMX

Posted April 17, 2005 - 07:28 AM

I'm in the process of re-building my YZ426 engine and I can't decide what to include. I've checked the valve clearences, and they check fine. The cylinder has good crosshatch marks. The head has your basic carbon build-up on it.
I was thinking of replacing the piston with a Wiseco (standard compression) piston. Can the valves be replaced with lighter replacements? Originally, I cleaned up the intake and exhaust ports that had some casting marks and that improved the performace a little. I'm looking to do a low level engine re-build to make it respond a little better and bring back some life into an old engine. All advice is welcome! :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted April 17, 2005 - 08:41 AM

I would not bother the valves unless you have reason to believe they are worn.

Replace the piston/rings/rod bearing, the cam chain and tensionor and you should be good to go.

• MNellis

Posted April 17, 2005 - 08:45 AM

I would not bother the valves unless you have reason to believe they are worn.

Replace the piston/rings/rod bearing, the cam chain and tensionor and you should be good to go.

I agree. The 2 piece valves are $19/ea vs about $60+ for the TI valves. I've heard the same thing about the problems with the 2 piece valves but have not seen anything posted from anyone who has actually had a problem with the valve failing on it's own and without some help from the piston hitting it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.