clicking

12 replies to this topic
  • RingoRyan8

Posted April 16, 2005 - 02:28 PM

My bike is making a really bad clicking (Increases with RPM). I thought it was the valves but i adjusted them and the problem still exists. any thoughts? thanks

• RingoRyan8

Posted April 16, 2005 - 02:29 PM

93 xr650l 10k miles.

• XR4DEZ

Posted April 16, 2005 - 03:38 PM

That's just broke in...

• RingoRyan8

Posted April 16, 2005 - 06:24 PM

im glad its good for alot more. do you have any ideas?

• XRL_Rider

Posted April 16, 2005 - 06:46 PM

Cam Chain loose?

• RingoRyan8

Posted April 16, 2005 - 06:57 PM

is that a guess or do you know or have heard of that problem?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • needsprayer

Posted April 17, 2005 - 07:20 AM

Have a compression check done to see if the valve guides are worn.

• RingoRyan8

Posted April 17, 2005 - 09:34 PM

I have a compression gauge and i am going to give it a try. any tips or suggestions? thanks

• LotsOfBikes

Posted April 18, 2005 - 06:38 PM

Mine made a similar sound twice. One time it was because the one-way sprag clutch in the timing chain tensioner went out. The cam tensioner is designed to only push towards the chain and not back up - ever. When that sprag clutch goes out, the chain may get slack that isn't effectively supressed alone by the insufficient tension from the tensioner's spring alone.

I also had a clicking noise when my valve seats fatigued, got loose and started slapping against the aluminum of the head. The number one tell tale sign that this is occuring is that you have to keep backing your valve adjustment out to compensate for the seats banging themselves deaper into the aluminum head. This went on for a few thousand miles, until one of the seats disintigrated. The problem was cured by replacing the head, valves, guides etc..$$$. This is not normal. I beat the hell out of my 650L for the first 4 years :naughty:.

• Weirdo

Posted April 18, 2005 - 06:40 PM

Just to state my stupidity. I was out at Cal City/Randsburg and was hearing a seemingly metallic clicking sound as I rode. Louder when I stood up, quieter when I sat down. :naughty:

When I got home I checked my seat and found that it wasn't connected in the front. Hopefully that was the problem. The plastic vibrating against the metal bolt. Haven't ridden it since.......but............. :naughty:

• RingoRyan8

Posted April 19, 2005 - 08:20 PM

I also had a clicking noise when my valve seats fatigued, got loose and started slapping against the aluminum of the head. The number one tell tale sign that this is occuring is that you have to keep backing your valve adjustment out to compensate for the seats banging themselves deaper into the aluminum head. This went on for a few thousand miles, until one of the seats disintigrated. The problem was cured by replacing the head, valves, guides etc..$$$. This is not normal. I beat the hell out of my 650L for the first 4 years :naughty:.

I may have the same problem because i adjusted my valves the first time when i thought it was a problem. went out for a weekend of riding, the noise came back, went to adjust the valves again and I had to back them out. How much did it cost you to replace? Can I check this by removing the head and investigating? I try to be really nice to my bike but I am not the original owner. :naughty:

• wolvertone

Posted April 22, 2005 - 06:33 AM

I have an older bike, but I had the EXACT same problem. Turns out my decompression cable was a little too tight.

Under load, the lever would let compression out in a tapping-sound.

Steve

• RingoRyan8

Posted April 24, 2005 - 07:47 PM

as far as I know I don't have a decompresion cable.

lotsofbikes-- any diagnostics to find out for sure?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.