Good place to look for a used WR450F engine?

4 replies to this topic
  • gomopar440

Posted April 16, 2005 - 12:49 PM

I need to replace my 03 DS/SM WR450 engine because mine went BOOOOM @ 90mph on the highway :naughty: . It ventilated the cases bad enough that I could put my hand inside the engine in front of the crankshaft. Replacement parts from Yamaha are looking to cost around $2950.

Sooooo.... I'm looking for a used engine to put in there. I don't mind if it's a newer engine (04-05) I just need something a lot more reasonable pricewise. If I can't find a reasonable source for a replacement engine then I'll most likely be looking for a complete used WR450 for parts. I'm open to any suggestions here besides stop riding WFO in traffic on the highway :naughty: .

Email me at gomopar440@hotmail

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted April 16, 2005 - 03:16 PM

I'd keep an eye out on ebay. I have seen 400, 426 engines etc. If you have a little bit of time, one will show up. You just have to be patient and keep checking back.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gomopar440

Posted April 16, 2005 - 03:34 PM

Any idea what they should go for on ebay? I saw a YZ450 engine on there not long ago for $2499 with a Buy it now of $2699. It didn't sell and didn't even get one bid. I'd like to think that means they should be selling for less than that...I hope.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted April 16, 2005 - 09:05 PM

There is a complete 426 engine on there now. Its now at $900. I have seen almost new low mile engines go for close to $1800. But be careful, if you see all the parts on there for a complete bike from the same seller, everything EXCEPT the frame, suspect its stolen. I have seen this all too often, stolen bikes parted out on ebay. If they list the frame with MSO or title, then your OK. :naughty:

• mousemeat

Posted April 18, 2005 - 11:31 PM

If you have the time, i think you would lose less money parting out your existing bike and buying a working one.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.