new wr400 owner needs help!

3 replies to this topic
  • robman

Posted November 06, 2000 - 12:24 PM

were is the air screw on the carberator and how do you ajust it to get the dead spot at the bottom end out. I've been riding for 30 years but never had a pumper carb it's totally diffent from ones i've worked on!!

thank's for the info , I ordered a # 45 pilot today I'll let you know what happens!

[This message has been edited by robman (edited 11-07-2000).]

• Hick

Posted November 06, 2000 - 01:24 PM

Originally posted by robman:
were is the air screw on the carberator and how do you ajust it to get the dead spot at the bottom end out. I've been riding for 30 years but never had a pumper carb it's totally diffent from ones i've worked on!!

There is no air screw. Idle mix is adjusted via a fuel screw, the diff. is significant because, unlike other carbs, in is lean, out is rich because you are regulating fuel and not air.

The screw sits in a recessed hole in the fuel bowl. You can access it without removing or loosening the carb if you have a very short screwdriver. I use the bit end only (no handle) from one of those cheap combination screwdrivers. I marked it with nail polish so I could count the turns.

You may want to note the initial setting before you mess with is (although I think they are all set at 1.75 turns out). A quarter turn at a time is plenty, that is a lot of difference. You probably don’t want to go out past 2.5 turns, I think a few guys have had their fuel screw (or pilot screw) fall out.

Hope this helps!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • robman

Posted November 06, 2000 - 05:23 PM

Originally posted by Hick:
There is no air screw. Idle mix is adjusted via a fuel screw, the diff. is significant because, unlike other carbs, in is lean, out is rich because you are regulating fuel and not air.

The screw sits in a recessed hole in the fuel bowl. You can access it without removing or loosening the carb if you have a very short screwdriver. I use the bit end only (no handle) from one of those cheap combination screwdrivers. I marked it with nail polish so I could count the turns.

You may want to note the initial setting before you mess with is (although I think they are all set at 1.75 turns out). A quarter turn at a time is plenty, that is a lot of difference. You probably don’t want to go out past 2.5 turns, I think a few guys have had their fuel screw (or pilot screw) fall out.

Hope this helps!

I turned it out and messed withit awhile but it did not take the dead spot out ,what do you suggest?thank's for your help!

• James_Dean

Posted November 06, 2000 - 10:05 PM

Robman,

If this is a US '00WR, then the dead spot is from the lean #42 pilot and lean straight diameter of the needle. (see manual in TUNING section)

Now if you have gone past 3 turns out on the pilot screw using the stock pilot jet, try the next bigger pilot jet #45 at 2 turns out(range = 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 turns). Next step is #48 at 1 turn(range = 3/4 to 1 1/2). Adjust the pilot screw as Hick described.

Also, if you want it better yet get the needle straight diameter in a smaller size with a DVP needle. (search Thumpertalk for the part number, 5BE-14916-DP, '99YZ option) This diameter is a good middle size to work with, and clip #5 works well with this needle.

Use the search tool for more, look for EKP.

James Dean

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.