BRP swing arm grease nipples?

7 replies to this topic
  • Bigbopper

Posted April 15, 2005 - 09:52 PM

Has anyone drilled the various links on their rear swingarm to add grease nipples? I wonder if there would be any weakness created by the added holes?

Cheers...
BB

• bikemadtim

Posted April 15, 2005 - 11:06 PM

I would like to do mine, I have various diff angled grease nipples ready in my garage to use. It's just that I am lazy and can't be bothered to strip everything off to do it. I don't want to do it in situe for fear of getting the bits of ally inside.

I don't think adding a couple of grease nipples will weaken it too much.

If you do it can you let us know how you got on?

• SaltyWalrus

Posted April 15, 2005 - 11:19 PM

I've thought of doing it also. I am also to lazy, which is why I want the grease nipples, but can't be bothered to do it. Let us know if you install them.

• bikemadtim

Posted April 15, 2005 - 11:21 PM

The BRP must attract lazy owners! :naughty:

If you remove the swinging arm to do it, I take it you need to remove the bearings and fit new ones?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • big t

Posted April 15, 2005 - 11:53 PM

I just take it apart every 6 months or so and clean the bearings up and re grease. I think it's better to pull it apart and clean it out.

• frankstr

Posted April 16, 2005 - 04:30 AM

I just take it apart every 6 months or so and clean the bearings up and re grease. I think it's better to pull it apart and clean it out.

I agree, Its not that hard, plus the grease will be distributed better thru the bearings and you can inspect parts for wear.......

• qadsan

Posted April 16, 2005 - 04:31 AM

If you add grease nipples (zerk fittings), there's no way of knowing if the grease is actually getting into the needle bearings. You also won't be able to see the condition of the bearings and or know if water is present, corrosion, etc. The zerk fittings were great for bushed fittings and various types of bearings in the past, but more things nowdays use roller needle bearings to reduce friction and getting grease into these parts is not always easy to do with a zerk fitting.

No matter which strategy you employ, make sure to use a waterproof grease in these areas as opposed to a water resistant grease if your bike ever sees any water. Make sure you also grease the shock linkages because some of those bearings are pretty small and will rapidly wear if they're not maintained.

• Bigbopper

Posted April 16, 2005 - 08:22 AM

I agree that complete disassembly is better than the occasional greasing from a gun. I just like the idea of being able to pump some grease in there after every ride while still doing a full service every year or so. My old 500R had greasable linkage, and it was nice to see the grease squish out from all the link joints instead of just guess that there is some in there.

Cheers...

BB

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.