The bad thing about a Edelbrock

14 replies to this topic
  • frankstr

Posted April 15, 2005 - 07:24 PM

The only bad thing I figure is that the back tires life will be shorter now... :D
My first ride with the E carb, Man am I impressed, If I had rode a BRP with the stock carb and then one with a E carb, The E carb would have been one of my first mods.. :cry: :naughty:
I know how the stock carb would pop and burp at times pinning the throttle on a qwik take off, Not today, takes right off lifting the front tire so much easier, No more stalling on steep hill climbs with a sudden stop..
Had a small tip over ,The stock carb would have flooded needing to kick over to clear its lung, My son comes over and says, Well heres the test, Fires first kick we were all in awe, Way cool...... :D
When I start it cold, 2 blips of the throttle and first kick she lites off, never before....
Riding today with the E carb made me feel more confident in riding without a concern of it dying......
I've read some of the search history here and cant believe the negative talk ..
Oh well, In my book the E carb is top of the list......... :D
This is how a four stroke should run... :p :p :D :D :D
Plus I like how Edelbrock used allen head and torx screws instead of philips. :naughty:

• mikekay

Posted April 15, 2005 - 08:04 PM

yep-theres one big flaw with TT.....theres guys who really really really know what they are talking about....and guys who dont.

glad you like your carb!

• kyleproject

Posted April 16, 2005 - 07:04 AM

I got my bike used and it came with the Edelbrock. Everyone says how great it is over stock, and I'm sure it is but aren't you guys pissed that you had to drop a load to make the bike run as it should? It doesn't add any power, it just keeps the bike from snorting, farting, stalling and flooding. Every bike has its problems and I can live with a poorly designed foot peg but a part so integral to the operation of the bike should work properly. The only reason you should want to pull a stock carb is to make more power. Knowing Honda it'll never be fixed. They've been putting the same shitty cam chain tensioners in their CBRs for the past decade :naughty:

• captb

Posted April 16, 2005 - 09:54 AM

Mine runs fine with the stock carb, no hesitation or any flat spots, starts first kick ev every time hot 2 kicks cold, it will flood when dropped just like the other 35 bikes I've had, they should fix the footpeg problem thou, but I know it will take alot of complaints to get any action, my neighbor is trying to get Yamaha to fix his FJR1300 heads gotta come of valve guides gone at 9000 miles ,at first he was telling me how wonderfull it was, now his tune has changed, I went thru it with Yamaha with my transmission failure om my FJ1100,as long as I don't have any more major failures like that I won't complain about putting in new peg bolts every year.

• frogman

Posted April 16, 2005 - 04:59 PM

Seems like the only guys bad-mouthing the Edelbrock are the ones that can't afford to buy one.
And the only fellers in support of the stock carb are the ones that have never ridden a pig with an E-carb.

• bigtom17

Posted April 16, 2005 - 06:01 PM

I am siding with the Frankster, I also live in Oregon. I have also noticed that the only guys that like the stock carb live in desert climates, not all but some. Maybe terrain has something to do with it where in the woods on wet slimey clay is different than what they got in Arizona. Or maybe I just pick myself up more than others. Either way, love my EBQS. I would sell my tv to buy one if needed. I would never use the stock carb. I would hit the stock carb with a hammer before giving it to someone I hate.

• frankstr

Posted April 16, 2005 - 06:48 PM

I am siding with the Frankster, I also live in Oregon. I have also noticed that the only guys that like the stock carb live in desert climates, not all but some. Maybe terrain has something to do with it where in the woods on wet slimey clay is different than what they got in Arizona. Or maybe I just pick myself up more than others. Either way, love my EBQS. I would sell my tv to buy one if needed. I would never use the stock carb. I would hit the stock carb with a hammer before giving it to someone I hate.

If they tried a Edelbrock they would never let go of it.......... :naughty: :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Roll_it_on

Posted April 16, 2005 - 06:56 PM

I had to think long and hard before I spent the money on the QS but I found that it has been money well spent. The first time I was able to start the bike on the side of the hill after it tipped over made a big impression and today I road with my son in the mountains up to 5K feet and it ran great where before it ran rich in the upper elevations. One kick every time and no screwing with the choke lever to start the thing. Just a couple of quick turns and a kick and away I go. Awesome :naughty: :naughty: Now all I need is the bike to be 50lbs lighter so when it does go over I can pick it up with ease........ Getting older you know.

• robxr600

Posted April 17, 2005 - 10:57 AM

I have a QS on my XR600. Runs great and is very responsive except when wide open. When engine hits top RPM it starts to miss. (stock carb never did that) Really dont need wide open anyway. Max power is in mid range.

• BWB63

Posted April 17, 2005 - 12:33 PM

Seems like the only guys bad-mouthing the Edelbrock are the ones that can't afford to buy one.
And the only fellers in support of the stock carb are the ones that have never ridden a pig with an E-carb.

I have two of them and they both have had the float needle stick. The first Edlebrock had major problems at the Edelbrock shop where it was being dyno'ed. Took a lot of time to get it right. It has had the float needle stick twice sence then. The second one has had the needle stick twice also. I am thinking it is from having fuel in the bowl and trailering it. I am looking into this. Each time I was able to get the float needle to release by hitting the side on the carburetor. Hitting it quite hard up to twenty times one time it was stuck real good. Never has done this while riding so I can live with it and still think it's a awesome carburetor. :D The Edelbrock does not have a tunable low end circuit so, it can have a soft spot down low on some bikes. It is a great carburetor and way better then stock......any pumper would be! I have done lots of major testing on the stock, Mikuni TM40 and Edelbrock. You can make the stock work great but, can never get the hesitation off the bottom to go away. Running a little rich top and bottom helps but, then your running a little rich. For the average trail rider this is cool but, if your needing the bike to jump to life like, right now to save your bacon you need a pumper! There is more then one side here and there are different type of riders putting in there $.02 about something they haven't tried or don't understand. Money is a big factor for some and $400 is just a lot to put out on a little weekend warrior action and not balls to the wall racing. There is more out of the Edelbock to be had. Bore it out to 40mm X 42mm insted of the 36mm X 42mm it comes as. You will not lose bottom end like some will tell you. It's a pumper. I gained bottom end and torque with mine bored to 40mm X 42mm but, I have a 680cc bike. On the Stock bike it pulls harder then stock but, then again I am running a header, muffler, holes in the side cover, Uni air filter. My point is; it has a lot to do with what level you push for and what you can handle. There are a lot of guys out there with an extra 50~70 pounds or more and it's all in there belly, only riding once and a while for a hour or so. Then believe telling guys that push things to the limit what works and what doesn't for them is cool :D :busted: :busted: :naughty: :D :p :D :naughty: :D :D :p :D :cry: :D
There are some out there that could rider better, faster, longer on a XR400R but, got a XR650R and never go over 70 mph off road. That is cool....just remeber there are some out there that push the bike to it's limit and need it (the bike) to make up for the unseen. Just as the guy's that race know to look out for the rest of your feelings. :busted:
All About the XR650R Click Here: :D

• mikekay

Posted April 17, 2005 - 12:37 PM

-a properly adjusted Edelbrock has another attribute:

significantly better milage.

• jws

Posted April 17, 2005 - 04:51 PM

I am thinking it is from having fuel in the bowl and trailering it.

I trailer a couple time a month with fuel in the bowl and have not had any problems :naughty: My buddy has a QS on his DRZ and has had the sticking problem also just a few taps on the carb seem to fix it :D

BTW - I love my Edelbrock :naughty:

• jws

Posted April 17, 2005 - 04:53 PM

-a properly adjusted Edelbrock has another attribute:

significantly better milage.

and it makes me smile more :naughty: :naughty: :D

• frankstr

Posted April 18, 2005 - 12:10 PM

It sure beats a peein kehien...............had to throw that in ....... :naughty: :naughty: :D

• RdrMtn

Posted April 18, 2005 - 02:35 PM

My used '01 xr650r came with an edelbrock and I think its awesome! I do have one complaint. When I ride down a sidestreet with the throttle barely open, the bike jerks and sputters. Too rich? I screwed the brass pump screw on the bottom right almost all the way in and it didn't do a thing. My BRP is totally stock except edelbrock and uncorking. I would like some input before I tear the seat and tank off and start messing with the needle. I don't have a manual for the carb or anything.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.