00 426 for a 02 CRF450

21 replies to this topic
  • 426Hurricane

Posted April 15, 2005 - 01:26 PM

Im trying to sell or trade off my 426 so i can get this mint 02 CRF450? Do you think Im doing the right thing?

• 02YZ426

Posted April 15, 2005 - 02:03 PM

Well, the bike is 2 years newer so thats always a plus, but why are you going red??

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted April 15, 2005 - 02:48 PM

Im trying to sell or trade off my 426 so i can get this mint 02 CRF450? Do you think Im doing the right thing?

No, your buying a Honda. Definitely not a good thing. :naughty:

• 99wr400

Posted April 15, 2005 - 03:00 PM

Yes, if you are too lazy to have the cylinder bored out and get the suspension revalved (Those two mods would add up to about the price difference) If you do those mods, your bike whould be any bit as fast as a CRF450. Dont ask people in a yamaha forum this kind of question, you should know what the answers will be like. I dont like yamaha's even though I have one, and my next bike will be either a CR500 or KTM 380 E/XC, depending on how much my shoulder can heal in 2-3 months. I would prefer a Honda over any other brand, I would say second best out of the big brands is KTM, then Yamaha. Honda has the best aftermarket following. Ride the red bike! (If you want to). :naughty:

• 426Hurricane

Posted April 15, 2005 - 03:02 PM

Only 4,
What's wrong with Honda's? Most people think The CRF will smoke the 426's / 450's? I love my 426 but the 02CRF im looking at is clean and the price is right, seems like a perfect opprotunity to "Upgrade"

• 426Hurricane

Posted April 15, 2005 - 03:09 PM

99Wr,
It has nothing to do with my motivation level, I just found a sweet deal on a real clean low hour 02CRF and thought i might get some feedback on moving to the honda. My first response on this yamaha forum was a positive one. And btw i actually love yamaha's, but i would be a liar if i said the CRF450 is not a beautiful bike.

• markit

Posted April 15, 2005 - 04:07 PM

99Wr,
It has nothing to do with my motivation level, I just found a sweet deal on a real clean low hour 02CRF and thought i might get some feedback on moving to the honda. My first response on this yamaha forum was a positive one. And btw i actually love yamaha's, but i would be a liar if i said the CRF450 is not a beautiful bike.

But its still a honda, Imo not beautiful at all. Keep your YZ or get a newer one. :naughty:

• 426Hurricane

Posted April 15, 2005 - 04:11 PM

I just read a post in the honda section about engine problems with 02CRF450. Im gonna stick w/my 00 426. It has been nothing short of bulletproof. I still like honda's though.

• felony

Posted April 15, 2005 - 07:51 PM

if you like having valve problems,go with the honda.i can beat alot of the 450s with my 01 426,mx its all on the rider though..

• Matt96xr6

Posted April 15, 2005 - 10:49 PM

Last year at Washougal I had my 426 and we got a 03 450 from the shop for another friend for the day.

First off the 450 was used and had a Q pipe on the bike. The suspension was setup soft and needed the forks rebuilt badly. The Q pipe killed the power on the bike, it felt more like a 250F.

But the handling of the bikes is way different. The honda you can tell the difference in the frame, it felt really stiff. Handled easier than the YZ. Powerwise the YZ was all that. Even racing through the year, I could pull 450s up the hill at Washougal. The honda was a much friendlier bike to ride I can say that. Brakes were top notch also.

For reliability, the YZ has that. The honda just does not have enough oil for the crank and top end to keep them reliable. Race bikes use cranks every 3 races in the CRFs at the pro level. I have seen one frame crack and then the honda valves.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted April 16, 2005 - 03:31 AM

Only 4,
What's wrong with Honda's? Most people think The CRF will smoke the 426's / 450's? I love my 426 but the 02CRF im looking at is clean and the price is right, seems like a perfect opprotunity to "Upgrade"

then why did you ask......

• 426Hurricane

Posted April 16, 2005 - 06:37 AM

Reliability is really a factor for me since im not loaded w/money. I'll stick w/my 426 for a while.

• Chipstien

Posted April 16, 2005 - 07:10 AM

Reliability is really a factor for me since im not loaded w/money. I'll stick w/my 426 for a while.

Good idea! :naughty:

• Chipstien

Posted April 16, 2005 - 07:11 AM

and my next bike will be either a CR500 or KTM 380 E/XC, depending on how much my shoulder can heal in 2-3 months.:naughty:

I did this same swap.... see sig. :naughty:

• Pablo-75rus

Posted April 17, 2005 - 08:03 AM

To change my Yamaha to Kick-Ten-Minutes is what I'll never do :naughty: Seen some LC4 running ATW. It was brand new in Moscow and completely ruined in Khabarovsk (5000 miles). Even though the rider was 100-mile a day rider and no really tough road.

KTM? No thank you...

• 426Hurricane

Posted April 18, 2005 - 06:35 AM

I am definately sticking w/my 426. I did a lot of research this weekend about the CRF's and learned of a lot of problems w/them. Now that my mind is made up on keeping my 426, i am going to move to a 14/51, pick up a FMF Q (to swap back and forth with the loud a@@ white bro's i have on there now) and buy a couple xtra filters to swap out each ride. Besides, I just dumped a bunch of money into All new Plastic/graphics, seat, tank. (yellow 3.3 gal tank from clarke mfg) and One Industries Hurricane Kit. The bike shines like brand new. Can anyone tell me how to put a pic of it as my avatar? (little picture thingy under my name)

• Btwick

Posted April 18, 2005 - 07:21 AM

I was researching 02 CRF 450s when I bought my 02 YZF 426.. I wanted to stay with an 02 to get a green sticker here in CA.. Read all the posts on this forum and the Honda forum.. I read how the valves on the Honda were suspect, and the triple trees were often replaced as the stock angle was not optimal and was fixed in later years. I also read how it was farily split on handling/tracking, etc.. I then saw how the Hondas were $800 to $1000 higher than the 426s. I bought the 426 and have been very happy.. Did the cam mod and got my 10oz flywheel weight, plan on revalving/springs on the forks and then I'll have a GREAT bike. More power than I'll ever need..

• 99wr400

Posted April 19, 2005 - 06:27 PM

BUY THE CRF! if it has lower hours than your 426, dont forget the kibblewhite stainless steel valves.

• JAYG

Posted April 20, 2005 - 01:11 PM

Heres my 2 penneth (old english saying) :naughty:
I rode a crf 250 last week and didnt like it at all , i was going to buy a honda before i got the 426, but glad i didnt.
Crf 250 felt toned down a not a challenge(too easy to ride)... :naughty:
Both are great bikes and are probably on a par power wise according to engine size. :D
This discussion is similar to the mitsubshi evo/ subaru impreza (owned 2 of each over the years)and can never be resolved, at the end of the day its whatever floats your boat, so go for it..
I luv my 426 its a beast!!!! :D

• 426Hurricane

Posted April 20, 2005 - 01:37 PM

[quote name='426Hurricane']I am definately sticking w/my 426. I did a lot of research this weekend about the CRF's and learned of a lot of problems w/them. Now that my mind is made up on keeping my 426, i am going to move to a 14/51, pick up a FMF Q (to swap back and forth with the loud a@@ white bro's i have on there now) and buy a couple xtra filters to swap out each ride. Besides, I just dumped a bunch of money into All new Plastic/graphics, seat, tank. (yellow 3.3 gal tank from clarke mfg) and One Industries Hurricane Kit. The bike shines like brand new.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.