Jetting an 05...WTF?

6 replies to this topic
  • WaGuy78

Posted April 14, 2005 - 07:49 PM

I just got done attempting to jet my 05 450... I could not get the carb to turn out to the left as the JD instructions say.

Am I going to need to disconnect all those cables? I thought you could just turn it out enough to get the top off? :naughty:

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

• RB2

Posted April 14, 2005 - 07:59 PM

I just ordred my JD kit, So any info someone gives you, will sure help me :naughty: Good luck

• clark4131

Posted April 14, 2005 - 08:18 PM

Whenever I do carb work, I have to remove the throttle cables. The hot start can stay attached, but you won't be able to rotate it out with the cables. You can pivot it a few degrees by loosening the clamps at the airbox and the head, but that'll only get you to the needle. The Main jet can be replaced through the bottom with no loosening of anything, but beyond that, you're going to have to take it all off...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mtrablue

Posted April 15, 2005 - 05:21 AM

take the tank off. push as much throttle cable as possible toward the carb. i always remove the hot start cable. i can't say it's in the way but the fitting is plastic and only screws in about four threads. i'm afraid i'm going to rip it out of the carb. don't over tighten when replacing it.

• Jackazz

Posted April 15, 2005 - 05:53 AM

take the tank off. push as much throttle cable as possible toward the carb. i always remove the hot start cable. i can't say it's in the way but the fitting is plastic and only screws in about four threads. i'm afraid i'm going to rip it out of the carb. don't over tighten when replacing it.

That's exactly why I bought the Zip-Ty alum. carb nut. :naughty:

• markyjoe

Posted April 15, 2005 - 06:54 AM

I loosen the front and rear carb clamps and then disconnect the hot start. I am then able to rotate the carb to the right to remove the top of the carb and change the needle. The jets are also accessible from the bottom. If you remove the throttle cables you can rotate it even more if need be.

• DesertWR

Posted April 15, 2005 - 07:37 AM

I loosen the front and rear carb clamps and then disconnect the hot start. I am then able to rotate the carb to the right to remove the top of the carb and change the needle. The jets are also accessible from the bottom. If you remove the throttle cables you can rotate it even more if need be.

I just jetted my bike with the JD kit. I removed the tank, unhitched the subframe and slid the air box back. Loosen the intake boot and removed the hot start cable. Slide the carb off the intake, rotate and jet. You don't have to unhitch the sub, but I had it loose anyway to put in the AIS blockoff and it made life real easy. You also don't have to remove the throttle cables-There is enough rotation of the carb to place the main and the needle
without any problems. Time wise was about 4 beers :naughty: Oh yeah, Bike rips now :naughty:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.