650R battery

4 replies to this topic
  • BIG RED

Posted April 14, 2005 - 05:30 PM

Just tried to add a battery to my BRP. Ground to frame and power into the main charge wire. everything worked great headlight, signal lights, etc. Then i started the bike and everything went dim :naughty: ! didn't want to hurt anything so i removed the battery. i do remember having a problem similar to this on my yz426f with my baja kit and my E-line charging coil, there was a ground wire i had to disconnect to make everything work but on my BRP it has its own coil so i am stumped :naughty:
Clint

• needsprayer

Posted April 14, 2005 - 05:59 PM

Did you replace the regulator (AC output) with a rectifier/regulator (DC output)?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MrShred

Posted April 14, 2005 - 06:21 PM

NP is right, you have an AC lighting system. Your light doesn't care if it's powered by AC from the alternator, or DC from a battery, but mixing the two is a BAD IDEA. A rectifier will convert the AC to DC to charge your battery. It sounds like you could use some guidance from BAJA Designs or other knowledgeable source to change over the system. It aint that complicated but you could fry your electrics just messin around.

• BIG RED

Posted April 15, 2005 - 07:17 AM

I did have to order a voltage regulator for my YZ it was just a small box that grounded to the frame and let the power through it. Is that what i need? I know a Baja or Electrics kit is the answer but they are very heavy and prone to problems in the trail. so building my own lets me use more generic and lighter parts from a local bike shop not to mention it looks waaaaaayyyyy better.
Clint
Also where is the best place to put a regulator? on my last bike they just told me to put it anywhere in-line with power. :naughty:

• needsprayer

Posted April 15, 2005 - 02:52 PM

You can buy a rectifier/regulator separately from Baja Designs and it will fit in the same space as the regulator it replaces with a little finessing. :naughty:

CODE NUMBER: 31200
Dual Sport Kit, Regulator XR650R 49.00/EACH

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.