450 shootout in May issue of Dirt Bike

21 replies to this topic
  • ARSarizona

Posted April 14, 2005 - 02:25 PM

The May issue of Dirt Bike Mag rated the 450's in this order. 1st - KTM 450 EXC, 2nd - Yamaha WR450F, 3rd - Honda CRF450X, 4th - Husky TE450. Quite surprising since Dirt Bike seems to have been leaning toward the Honda's for the past few months. Speaking of the Yamaha, they said "With a little less weight and a little more tang it would have been the unanimous favorite". They also rated the Yamaha with the most HP @ 44.92.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted April 14, 2005 - 02:47 PM

...They also rated the Yamaha with the most HP @ 44.92....

I assume this was after it was "uncorked" :naughty:

• ARSarizona

Posted April 14, 2005 - 03:31 PM

The only mods listed are the throttle stop and drilling out of the inner baffle.

• DesertWR

Posted April 14, 2005 - 03:38 PM

And to think I almost went Red :naughty: :naughty:

• Math

Posted April 14, 2005 - 08:01 PM

What's "tang"?

I'll be reading this paper with a lot of attention. Not that I rely on their classification but I like to read about the big orange and red bikes... specially the enduro versions. Thanks for the reference. :naughty:

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted April 15, 2005 - 01:21 AM

Isnt tang that orange powdery drink mix? Tasty stuff :naughty:

Glad to see Dirt Rider has figured out that Blue > red :naughty:

• Math

Posted April 15, 2005 - 04:54 AM

Isnt tang that orange powdery drink mix? Tasty stuff :naughty:

Yeah, my mother used to try to keep us away from that stuff when I we were kids. :naughty:

But seriously what were they talking about?

• bandit99

Posted April 15, 2005 - 07:33 AM

Magazine shootouts rarely tell the whole story. I wonder sometimes if it is based on which manufacturer has the most add space purchased in the magazine. There are so many different bikes out there and so many different types of riders that I would like to see articles more geared to that. They tell you weight and horsepower which is great, but that just tells me it is light and fast. Tell me which one is the best for single track, motocross, fat people, skinny people, Tall, short, beginners, advanced, intermediate, low or high maintenance...etc. Which bike will need the least or most money spent on mods? Which bike will blow up after 1000 miles and which one will last 10,000 miles and what is the maintenace costs? Most riders can not use a bike to it's full potential (stop lying to yourself). We need a real world test of hundreds of miles, not just a shoot out for an afternoon with a bunch of pro's.

• Victor Champion

Posted April 15, 2005 - 07:55 AM

Magazine shootouts rarely tell the whole story. I wonder sometimes if it is based on which manufacturer has the most add space purchased in the magazine. There are so many different bikes out there and so many different types of riders that I would like to see articles more geared to that. They tell you weight and horsepower which is great, but that just tells me it is light and fast. Tell me which one is the best for single track, motocross, fat people, skinny people, Tall, short, beginners, advanced, intermediate, low or high maintenance...etc. Which bike will need the least or most money spent on mods? Which bike will blow up after 1000 miles and which one will last 10,000 miles and what is the maintenace costs? Most riders can not use a bike to it's full potential (stop lying to yourself). We need a real world test of hundreds of miles, not just a shoot out for an afternoon with a bunch of pro's.

Read the article.
Is was a 24 hour non-stop event. With groups of riders to keep the bikes going the whole time. Pretty cool actually. :naughty:
They list all the maintenance they did on the bike during the test.

• tagger

Posted April 15, 2005 - 08:33 AM

Read the article.
Is was a 24 hour non-stop event. With groups of riders to keep the bikes going the whole time. Pretty cool actually. :naughty:
They list all the maintenance they did on the bike during the test.

that sounds like the Dirt Rider article - did DirtBike do the same test? I'll have to go buy that issue. By the way, I just bought by 05 a few weeks ago and have had it out twice - the smile factor is amazing :naughty: :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toyota_mdt_tech

Posted April 15, 2005 - 03:20 PM

[quote name='Chevy_Cowboy']Isnt tang that orange powdery drink mix? Tasty stuff ...QUOTE]

I know Peg Bundy (on married with children) used to make sandwiches from the Tang® powdered drink by pouring it on a slice of bread, installing the top slice and pinching the bread all the way around to hold in the tang. :naughty:

• DesertWR

Posted April 15, 2005 - 03:23 PM

[quote name='toyota_mdt_tech'][quote name='Chevy_Cowboy']Isnt tang that orange powdery drink mix? Tasty stuff ...QUOTE]

I know Peg Bundy (on married with children) used to make sandwiches from the Tang® powdered drink by pouring it on a slice of bread, installing the top slice and pinching the bread all the way around to hold in the tang. :naughty:[/QUOTE]

The only Tang I'm familiar with is that of the Puun variety :naughty:

• wantmorepower

Posted April 19, 2005 - 09:12 PM

I read that article also. It's interesting to note that all the magazines that do reviews and shootouts about the 05 WR are all different. One claims that it only can go 82, another says 100. One says it weighs 288, another says it weighs 277, and Yamaha claims it weighs far less than any of these, wet or dry! AHHHH, which friggin one!?!? I figured that the only way to really know is to weigh it, dyno it, clock it and buy it yourself and develop your own opinion. It's nice to see that the WR isn't as nearly anemic as I thought and my original conception of the bike was more correct than ever, WR's are great bikes!

• RB2

Posted April 19, 2005 - 09:20 PM

I would not trade my WR for anything! I'd trade my wife for another WR :naughty:

• simica

Posted April 19, 2005 - 09:58 PM

Some of you are getting the Dirt Rider 24 hour test confused with the most recent Dike Bike "e" button enduro test. The DR 24 hr test was not that kind to the WR, but the DB test placed the WR 2nd, (almost first), to the KTM, and above the Honda. And if you read the trail ride article on Nevada further in the mag, you will read that they used this trail ride for the test and the KTM that they used was a privately owned one by one of the riders, so who knows what mods were done to the KTM by its owner.

• glasseye

Posted April 20, 2005 - 10:04 AM

I would not trade my WR for anything! I'd trade my wife for another WR :naughty:

please post pic of wife :naughty:

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted April 22, 2005 - 06:50 AM

The mags kind of tick me off. They are so inconsistent with what they say is good, and what is not so good. Dirt Bike has been the biggest flip-flopper since the election. One month the WR rocks, the next month they are gushing all over the KTMs/Hondas and "Yamaha needs to re-think the WR.". :naughty:

I prefer getting my input on which bike is the best the old fashioned way. Ride all of them as fast as possible and whatever one doesn't throw you into the sticks, that's the one I'm buying.

I don't hold much value in what any magazines say are good and bad. They are what they are........something to read while on the toilet instead of reading the handsoap bottle. :naughty:

• Oil

Posted April 22, 2005 - 07:18 AM

Its talking about acceleration.

-tang

:naughty:

• Cmott426

Posted April 22, 2005 - 11:46 AM

How can they say the CRFX is the bike of the year one month then it gets 3rd place in a shoot out the next?
I will keep my WR for a few more years, then buy another one.

• JeffWR

Posted April 23, 2005 - 04:26 AM

What do they mean about keeping the stock silencer but drill out the inner baffle???

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.