weird oil leak 600r

3 replies to this topic
  • marcmo0

Posted April 14, 2005 - 10:54 AM

I have an 88 xr 600 r and it leaks some oil from the base of the clutch release lever on the top of the left side crank case. Any ideas on how to fix it? I believe it is just a worn washer, but can't figure out how to remove the clutch release arm to replace it. Does it require removal of the crankcase cover, or can it be removed without doing all of that? It doesn't mention anything about it in the Clymer manual.

• Cedric

Posted April 14, 2005 - 12:52 PM

I'm not totally sure if you can't sneak it out, but I would guess that you would have to remove the clutch side cover and remove the the tension off the clutch pushrod to get the arm out. The bummer is that the XR600 does not have a quick change clutch cover, so you have to take off the whole side cover. Give it a shot though, you may be able to remove it just by disconnecting the cable and turning it around, then removing the little bracket and screw that holds it down.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • don87xr600

Posted April 14, 2005 - 04:08 PM

There is an oil seal there. Remove the side cover to pull the clutch arm.

• MotoBikeMike

Posted April 15, 2005 - 09:32 AM

There is a bearing below the seal that should be replaced at the same time as the seal. If the bearing is worn and the shaft moves around it will leak no matter how new the seal is.

Mike

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.