Flaking fork tubes two questions???????

12 replies to this topic
  • redright

Posted April 14, 2005 - 10:11 AM

Has anyone experienced this? It is happening to both of the outer tubes on my '01 426. I took it in to Race Tech for an overhaul and spring uprade and they said they had never seen it before. The material is actually flaking off. They said it is potentially dangerous as the integrity of the forks is being diminished as the material flakes off and that I need to replace them. $200 bucks each! :naughty:

Second question, as I need to replace these I will probably be looking on Ebay for a better deal. What tubes are compatible with this application. Thanks in advance

• grayracer513

Posted April 14, 2005 - 11:09 AM

Flaking off of where, specifically?

• R_Little

Posted April 14, 2005 - 11:33 AM

Bad chrome job.

This happened to me on a set of expensive Japaneese Tociko adjustable shocks I bought for my WV GTI. It also happend to me on the rear shock of my DR650 2 weeks after it's 1 yr warranty ran out.

You should be able to replace them with any 46mm tubes from a late model Yamaha.

I have one new spare tube I can sell you for $50 shipped.

• redright

Posted April 14, 2005 - 01:35 PM

It's flaking on the upper gold outer tubes, its not the chrome lowers.

• slappie

Posted April 14, 2005 - 01:48 PM

"but thanks for the offer"

• redright

Posted April 14, 2005 - 02:13 PM

My response was to actualy to Grayracer Slappie, I PM'd little about his offer. Relax bud!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 14, 2005 - 03:05 PM

The gold color is artificially applied to the aluminum. It may only be the color that's coming off, in which case, it shouldn't be a strength issue.

And no, I've never seen it.

Does the bike sit outdoors a lot?

• redright

Posted April 14, 2005 - 03:46 PM

It is kept indoors. I get the forks back from Race Tech tomorrow. Ill try to post some pics then.
Do you know the answer about what model tubes are interchangeable so I can start shopping on Ebay?
Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted April 14, 2005 - 11:39 PM

I'm pretty sure the size of the inners and outers were the same from around '98 up until the 48mm fork in '04, but as to the internals and how interchangeable they are, no I don't.

• RCannon

Posted April 15, 2005 - 04:14 AM

I have mixed and matched many late model YZ forks. The 97 had slightly larger upper tubes. The 97 also has an older style brake mount.

Other than that, mix away. I imagine anything from 98-2003 will work just fine. The internal parts were changed over the years, but they still fit and work just fine.

• slappie

Posted April 15, 2005 - 06:54 AM

Redright,

No problem man.

I was just messing with you. I guess I forgot to put the little smiley face thing. :naughty:

Have the fork tubes ever been in a vice? Perhaps it wasn't padded correctly or something?

• redright

Posted April 15, 2005 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for the reply Slappie, It's funny how things can easily be misinterpreted in a message! :naughty: No it's not like they were in a vice, damn, I wish I had them so I could show you guys. I'm going to try to pick them up by Monday and will get some pics posted.
Thanks guys.

• Wyatt

Posted April 15, 2005 - 11:46 AM

What do you clean your bike with?? maybe you are usuing a harsh chemical cleaner????....its all i could think of....

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.