YZ450 hard to kick after oil change

6 replies to this topic
  • lanham

Posted April 14, 2005 - 07:27 AM

I just changed the oil in my '04 YZ450 and can no longer start the bike in gear!?!? I adjusted the clutch, no change. Very strange as I have never had a problem kicking in gear. Same oil. It feels like the clutch is halfway engaged when kicking in gear. Put in neutral, start, put in gear and all feels the same, meaning that the bike doesn't act like the clutch is halfway engaged when running. Very strange, any ideas?

• RJB

Posted April 14, 2005 - 08:39 AM

Ride it for a while to get the oil warmed up. I have a YZ426, and have never started it in gear when it was from cold. However, once I've been riding some, it has no problem starting in gear. Down to the oil viscosity when cold

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted April 14, 2005 - 08:56 AM

same oil, but what oil?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted April 14, 2005 - 07:05 PM

Your clutch plates are likley just sticking a bit. Just ride it and get the oil warm and it should be fine. :naughty:

• sanpedro426

Posted April 14, 2005 - 07:46 PM

Yea the pressure plate does mash the plates together pretty good and i thing just pulling in the clutch wouldnt unstick them. I have never been able to start my bike in gear cold or hot.

• lanham

Posted April 15, 2005 - 09:38 AM

same oil, but what oil?

Yamalube 10/40

• bzakk

Posted April 15, 2005 - 11:15 AM

warm it up first. :naughty:

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  57 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.