Skid Plates

16 replies to this topic
  • Eric Henion

Posted April 13, 2005 - 08:43 PM

Does any one use an aftermarket skid plate on there BRP if so which one fits the best? There are quite a few to choose from. :naughty:

Eric

• big t

Posted April 14, 2005 - 01:30 AM

I just put the XR's Only skid plate on mine. Fits great.

• TimBrp

Posted April 14, 2005 - 03:23 AM

I got the moose baja one for mine. Great coverage. I saw the SRC one on their site the other day. I think they wanted $174.95 for it. I was like &%$#@!?!!

• Desmo

Posted April 14, 2005 - 07:35 AM

I bought the SRC one and put it on one time and it did not seem to have tall enough coverage, say if you dropped your bike on some granite rocks.

https://secure.srcin...810&StartRow=21

The sides are too low. Basically it is sitting in my garage in a box. It is very well made and would be good for desert riding, but I would not trust it in super rocky conditions.

Anyone wanna buy it? I waited way too long to try to return it.

So what do I have now?

I'm using the stock one with a peice of carbon fiber on the bottom to protect against sharp rocks. Not too many miles on it yet.

I'll probably get one that Utah sport cycle makes.

or this one

http://www.4strokes....reviews/whipps/

even though they slammed it for having incorrectly drilled holes.

hope this helps

• TimBrp

Posted April 14, 2005 - 08:50 AM

Desmo, how much?

• ThunderChicken

Posted April 14, 2005 - 10:56 AM

a guy who could figure out how to make these:

Posted Image

work in conjunction with a stock skid plate would be my hero.

• redmanrandyed

Posted April 14, 2005 - 11:23 AM

Utah Sport Cycle http://www.utahsportcycle.com/

Best skid plate in my opinion. It has smacked many a rock with no harm done.
Plus the one for the XR650 looks pretty cool! :naughty:

Posted Image

• Motosprtman

Posted April 14, 2005 - 11:40 AM

I put a Baja Designs on mine, needed to take off the front framework piece for fitting. Looks good and functional and work well.

2005 XR650L

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted April 14, 2005 - 12:04 PM

I have a White Brothers skid plate and like it. It bolts up to the stock mounting holes and does not use any clamps. It's provides access (it's cutout) to the downtube drain bolt and it works flawless with the BillyWho Man Funnel :naughty:

http://www.billywho....nnel/650fit.jpg

• AzMtnThumper

Posted April 14, 2005 - 06:21 PM

I have a White Brothers skid plate and like it. It bolts up to the stock mounting holes and does not use any clamps. It's provides access (it's cutout) to the downtube drain bolt and it works flawless with the BillyWho Man Funnel :naughty:

http://www.billywho....nnel/650fit.jpg

I like my White Bros. too.....no clamps!! :naughty:

• XR4DEZ

Posted April 14, 2005 - 07:05 PM

Moose, simple install and full coverage, only about 60 bucks.The Honda crew swear by the stock plate. they claim it's safe enough and does not cause vibration like the aluminum skidplates.

• BoZerk

Posted April 14, 2005 - 09:34 PM

I've stayed witht he stock one.

I've hit it pretty freak'n hard and no problems. I did find a chunk missing from it though and had to repalce it. I just went for the stock plate again.

Cheaper and works good, IMO.

• x thread

Posted October 02, 2005 - 09:38 AM

i bought a xr,s only plate like it but does change the sound of the bike a little till ya get used to it .as for the stock one ive already hit some rocks and im glad i had it on over the stock one !!!!!

• oldturtle

Posted October 03, 2005 - 09:31 AM

Am I the only one on here who is using stock skid plate on 650R? I have many miles of very gnarly and rocky trips with stock and have never broken anything. I don't even think the Baja racers replace skid plates.
Now with my XR400 and KDX220 and many other bikes in the past I have always installed better skid plate but I see no need to replace the stock plastic guard on the 650R. It is very tough.

• qadsan

Posted October 03, 2005 - 09:38 AM

Am I the only one on here who is using stock skid plate on 650R?...

On my 2nd 650r, I used the stock skid plate and it is very tough, but it wore through after a while. I've since replaced it with another stocker and it will probably last a good bit longer since the bike is mainly used for simple d/s now. My $50 WB aluminum skid plate on my other 650r is scratched to heck on the bottom, but its still going strong.

• my98mugen

Posted October 03, 2005 - 08:48 PM

a guy i know only had about 200 miles on his new xr650r when he cased a rock in some woops and put a hole in the bottom of both case halves. hundreds of dollars later, he added the 65 dollar skid plate and told me its the best 65 you could spend.

you decide??????????

• Thumpmeister

Posted October 04, 2005 - 09:16 PM

My stock plastic piece of crap was gone only after a few rides; plastic just doesn't make a very good plate. I have the Baja Designs one, which is similar to the Utah one. I LOVE the plate, except its kind of a pain to get on and off with the whole little clamping system it uses. I wish it would bolt into the factory location. But, I've ridden that thing through the v-notches of walker valley, and the rock fields of taneum, and that plate as been bashed, scratched, and even dented, but has held strong. Hate to see what the plastic one would look like after all that.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.