Interesting Oil Info

3 replies to this topic
  • Vibeguy

Posted April 13, 2005 - 05:33 PM

Got this out of a weekly lubrication letter we subscribe to from the Noria Corp. This will undoubtedly be the end of the mineral vs. synthetic away!

Book Bits: Do Synthetics Reduce Friction?

From "How to Select a Motor Oil and Filter for Your Car or Truck"

Some synthetics, such as diesters and polyol esters have natural lubricity. Other synthetics, such as PAOs, offer no enhanced antiwear or friction-reducing properties by themselves. However, formulated motor oil generally consists of a blend of base oils plus additives that collectively impart friction and wear-reducing performance properties. PAO is the most common synthetic fluid used in motor oil formulations. It is frequently blended with a small concentration of an ester, such as a diester, to reduce seal shrinkage, improve additive solubility and provide better lubricity. However, it is worth noting that a mineral oil can be blended with esters and antiwear additives to achieve similar results.

• cloute

Posted April 13, 2005 - 05:38 PM

so...which oil should I buy then?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vibeguy

Posted April 13, 2005 - 05:49 PM

Nice try, baiting me out into the open ground to get shot at! The post was for educational value only.

Personally I use Mobil 1 Red Cap, I have a 24 month stash in my temperature, UV and humidity controlled oil cellar :naughty:

• grayracer513

Posted April 14, 2005 - 09:19 AM

Personally I use Mobil 1 Red Cap, I have a 24 month stash in my temperature, UV and humidity controlled oil cellar :naughty:

I trust you are storing it on it's side, so the corks stay wet?

Whether it reduces friction or not, an ester based synthetic that carries the MA grade is certified functional in a wet clutch application. There may also be compatible ester oils that simply never persued the certification because their marketing does not target motorcycles, as in the case of Red Cap. (BTW, I know RC isn't an ester synthetic)

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.