WR or YZ?

32 replies to this topic
  • devilsslide

Posted May 04, 2005 - 09:30 PM

yeah, get yhe yz

• geis

Posted May 05, 2005 - 12:28 AM

for my money you cant beat the wr. sure you do need to un cork it a little but if you are buying used most likely its been done already. and if not none of the mods dont cost a dime unless you buy a new pipe ( not really necessary) it has no trouble getting where its going there is plenty of power. unless you are riding around with the throttle pined in every gear all the time the only thing thats stopping you from going faster is you. plus the wr has lights and a spark arrester built in. you have to have a sparky in more and more areas to trail ride or endeuros duel sports all require them. so unless all you are going to do is mx you should look at the wr. oh ya did forget to mention that mine is street legal.

• CRFThumper

Posted May 05, 2005 - 04:49 AM

Well, let me say this,I ride a 03 yz450 and love it.I have done the woods set up on it and it does a good job in the woods.However this past weekend I rode my wifes 02wr250 that has a yz tank and seat on it along with the free mods!It was a bit soupy with the rain we have had lately and was pretty slick!
While it does not have the "omph" of my 450 I must say I was really impressed with the ride!I feel I was faster every where.The softer suss was just what the doctor ordered along with the 18" back wheel and the flywheel.
I have allways been a yz kind of guy but it really was a blast this weekend! :)

• MotoGoalie

Posted May 05, 2005 - 06:22 AM

The long and the short of it.

The YZ is quite a bit lighter in weight and feel than a WR, but the newer models close ratio tranny will limit your gearing choices quite a bit.

I love my blue bike offroad though.

• Chad76

Posted May 05, 2005 - 05:24 PM

I had the same problem. Trying to decide what way to go. YZ or WR. The best way for you to make your mind up on this is to compare the two back to back. When I say back to back, if your lucky enough like I was, ride a YZ and then jump straight off that and jump on a WR and see what you prefer. For me, this helped me make my mind up straight away. At the time I tested a YZF 426 02 model. Jumped off that and straight onto a WR 04 model. The YZF was far more exciting to ride. I was really disappointed with the WR power delivery. Felt very flat. It felt as if I had jumped onto a XR when compared to the YZF. I couldn't believe the difference. Dont get me wrong the WR is a great bike. Still heaps of power and a nice handling bike etc.....but the buzz factor was not there like the YZF. The YZF will mono any gear, any speed, at a flick of the wrist. Its just such an exciting bike to ride. Is it suited for bush riding....well I went straight out and bought a brand new YZF 450 04 model and I use it 100% for bush riding. It is also stock standard for the exception of new bars and handguards. Is the 4 speed an issue. No, unless all you do is fire trails and dessert racing. The amount of times that you will be in 4th gear on the YZF 450 wide open in the bush is pretty rare. Sure, on the open road you will run out of legs, but the only reason I find myself on a road is to get to another trail. If you find you need another gear in the bush you obviously want a death wish. Yamaha reckons the 4 speed YZF 450 will do the same top speed as the 5 speed 426.

Either way, they are both great bikes. Good luck.

• rosterbirdboy

Posted May 06, 2005 - 08:28 AM

I am in the same situation, WR or YZ????? I currently have a WR 400 with all the free mods done. I love the bike but it is heavy. I like the YZ because it is around 30lbs lighter than my WR.

Is there a big difference in the trails? I do all my riding in the woods and the .3 gallon tank size difference between the WR and YZ is not really a factor but the weight and the mods required on the WR seems extream.

Anyone have an opinion???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Goosedog

Posted May 06, 2005 - 08:39 AM

I would get the YZ, with a gearing change or at most a flywheel weight you could make it an awesome trail bike.

Gotta go with cowboy on this one. :D I've got an '02 YZ426 with a 12oz. FW weight, 14/51 gearing, radiator guards, Scotts steering damper, bark busters, Promoto spark arrestor, Race tech front springs and............................................it is THE ultimate woods bike. :) :D :worthy: Just my humble two cents. :)

• beezer

Posted May 06, 2005 - 09:05 AM

I wouldn't waste my time getting a 426, the 450 feels about 50 pounds lighter and is much faster.

I have a WR and a YZ450 and I wouldn't want to trail ride the YZ, its an abrupt bastard. The 4 speed is not a good idea for trail riding.

My WR is pretty fast and is fun on the trails. The e-start, lighting and the 5 speed make it much more versitile. It does need some work uncorking the motor to get it to run and it is heavy on an MX track.

• Butta

Posted May 06, 2005 - 12:36 PM

I wouldn't waste my time getting a 426, the 450 feels about 50 pounds lighter and is much faster.

I have a WR and a YZ450 and I wouldn't want to trail ride the YZ, its an abrupt bastard. The 4 speed is not a good idea for trail riding.

My WR is pretty fast and is fun on the trails. The e-start, lighting and the 5 speed make it much more versitile. It does need some work uncorking the motor to get it to run and it is heavy on an MX track.

But if your YZ is stock, then it would also benefit from a heavier FWW as well. I think the YZ426's are a great bang for the buck, though. Reliable, powerful, and better handling than the WR's. IF you can afford it, get the YZ450 and do as gray and the others suggested.....I've got a YZ450 and absolutely love it.....

• hmrland

Posted May 06, 2005 - 12:51 PM

YZit....you don't have to mod crap.

• yamahauler44

Posted May 06, 2005 - 07:48 PM

thanks for the input, from the sounds of it it may be easier to convert a yz, than to try and make a wr have the bang that (lets face it) we all want.

• misfitracer32

Posted May 06, 2005 - 08:54 PM

I ride a YZ 250F and My dad just got a new YZ450F that thing is insane!! I can hit everything in like 2 gear on his bike but normally I have to hit it in like 3 or 4 gear..So if you ride tracks or fast trails this is the bike for you!! ride race live misfitracer32 PEACE :)

• ncmountainman

Posted May 07, 2005 - 05:12 AM

you can buy mine,its about as yz'd as a wr can get :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.