water pump

2 replies to this topic
  • freekstyle

Posted April 12, 2005 - 06:32 PM

I know that rws just posted a thread about engine noise, but this post is a little different. When I got my 03 yz450 a few months ago I didnt hear any odd engine sounds, untill after about 25 hours of ride time. I have isolated the sound to the water pump area. At first a tapping sound was only heard at idle and was overpowered by the exaust note at throtle. It has slowly been getting louder as I have ridden it more. Now I can hear it with my helmet on and over my exaust on throttle with the dr.d pipe! I stopped ridding last weekend due to this super loud tapping. On the way back to my truck I saw people looking over thier shoulders to see if I had sheet metal baseball cards in my spokes. :naughty:

The bike runs great, the clutch works great, and it doesent overheat even here in Florida. My question is ;Once I pull the pump for inspection how do I know if its bad other than by trial and error?

Any sugestions?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cruise

Posted April 13, 2005 - 02:49 AM

I would check under the clutch side case cover. On two wr 450's that I know of were making awful noise and the primary gear nut was loose causing the gear to rattle resulting in rattling the water pump. They took out the water pump and the counter balancer were the water pump shaft slide in was almost worn right out. The water pump shaft could almost turn right around in there it was worn so much. Also the crack shaft is worn now from the rattling primary gear.

d

• grayracer513

Posted April 13, 2005 - 02:55 PM

That's where I'd look. If not that, check for broken springs in the clutch basket.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.