XR650L break in

10 replies to this topic
  • Motosprtman

Posted April 12, 2005 - 06:03 PM

The manual says 300 miles for break in! I find that hard to believe! when should I do the first oil change - I feel compelled to do one at 300 miles just to get the "break in" crap out of it... if any :-)

• jlpskydive

Posted April 12, 2005 - 06:07 PM

Ride it like you stole it!!! It won't break!! Do the oil change and you'll be fine. Took mine out of the dealership and did 90 mph all the way home had 100 miles on her the first day. They are bullet proof. Trust me I've tried to break mine. 4k first year and no problems since or ever.

• XR Dude

Posted April 13, 2005 - 05:10 AM

I agree with jlpskydiver, I uncorked mine and jetted it before riding it and then rode hard from the first mile. Wheelies, hard accelerations, top speed all withing the first 10 miles and haven't slowed down since. These things are bulletproof. Keep the oil clean and valves adjusted and she'll treat you nice in return.

• jacksmack21

Posted April 13, 2005 - 05:16 AM

someone posted a link on the drz forum about engine break in. it says run the hell out of it to seat the rings. i would try a search on it or ask someonre to post the link again at the drz forum. hope this helps jack

• frankstr

Posted April 13, 2005 - 06:49 AM

I did my first oil change at 50 miles, oils cheap compared to a engine... :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • splat

Posted April 13, 2005 - 08:52 AM

I suggest submerging the BRP while running with only 150 miles on it. That's what I did to mine and it runs great.

• Motosprtman

Posted April 14, 2005 - 11:48 AM

Hey thanks for all the replies! I plan on changing the oil this weekend! and using Castrol 20-50W and a fesh filter of course! only mods done so far to my new toy is a Baja Designes skidplate and acerbis front brake and fork guards. Wana uncork it after warranty is over. I also have a new Uni filter to install - don't think I need to worry about any jetting changes just going to a foam filter vice the paper one. Feels strong in stock form but cold blooded and LEAN pops back alot.. I had a 1987 XL600R and sometimes think it felt stonger? The 650L is a neat bike though and I love it!

I also have a 1974 XL-350, 1972 XL-250 and a 1975 XL-175 and 125. I like to restore and ride the old vinatge XL's and believe that my XR650L is a great grandson of the original XL line. :-)

How do you change your aviatar?

• XR Dude

Posted April 14, 2005 - 01:50 PM

Once you uncork your bike you will unlock the beast from within and gone will be the days you thought your xl600 had more power. Everything from starting, backfiring, and torque will improve especially if you go with an aftermarket exhaust that breathes (usually more noise however). It made a huge difference in my 05 L. Just gave mine a bath yesterday, tried to cross a swamp that was swampier than I thought. What a blast! Ride on my friend.

• Motosprtman

Posted April 15, 2005 - 05:07 AM

Yup, I think once I uncork it There will be a notable difference in performance. I would like to go with a Yoshimura Exhaust, remove the snorkle, smog crap, and reject with a Baja designs carb kit, Uni foam filter.

Stock it is strong, but takes me back to days of the XL600R - and especially in midrange you think hmmmmm not much difference and granted it is only 50cc larger in displacement...always heard the XL600R is stronger due to the dual carbs mostly.

Talk about differences though, ride the 05 XR650L and then hop onto my 1972 XL-250 or 1974 XL-350 ah, yea........technology has defintely moved on.

• jlpskydive

Posted April 15, 2005 - 06:30 AM

Do the jetting first. The thing comes off the showroom floor so lean already that any mods done before the jetting almost make it worse.

• Motosprtman

Posted April 15, 2005 - 07:14 AM

And you know all along I thought I was hurting it riding it at 45-55 MPH....

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.