XR 650L Rear Wheel bearings - How to remove bearing retainer

4 replies to this topic
  • bluerock5

Posted April 12, 2005 - 02:03 PM

Does it screw off with some sort of lever with pins in it or do you just hit it out from the other side, thanks

• MrShred

Posted April 12, 2005 - 05:37 PM

Honda has a four pin spanner tool to unscrew the drive side retainer, similar tools are available aftermarket for around $30. I used a simple Park tools bicycle spanner but had difficulty removing the retainer. Honda punches between the retainer and hub threads in several locations to prevent the retainer from backing out.

Took the wheel to my friendly dealer. The nice mechanic said "looks like someone has been trying to remove this; I drill out the punches so the threads don't get ripped out when I remove the retainer." He did the job for $60 with Honda bearings and seals. :naughty: :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miguelitro

Posted April 13, 2005 - 09:00 AM

That s agood price for that work cuz that retainer is a pain!!!
Get the tool or take it in, dont try removing with a punch and hammer, my technician says so!!!
good luck
Mike

• allan68

Posted April 13, 2005 - 01:10 PM

I used a pr. of offset needle nose pliers to remove mine. The retainer is made of VERY SOFT aluminum. A punch and hammer will surely destroy it.
I'm sure Honda made it this way on purpose as you either have to ante up for the tool, or take it to a dealer.
Many dealers will let you borrow the tool, or take it off for free, if you are purchasing bearings.

Al

• edssco

Posted April 13, 2005 - 08:12 PM

Hi
I bought the 2 tools from Honda to do the job on my 2001 L .The retainer never unscrewed smoothly when I got it the retainer off finally, I looked down and saw
all my hub threads mangled and messed up .I carefully with the help of some picks 1 by 1 rethreaded my hub it took a long time .I thought the hub was toast!. Some threads were crossed threaded and some were filled with the
retainer aluminum that had no threads left .It all worked out in the end .
I filled the hub with bearing grease, installed my new parts used a socket and taped the new bearings in.
Ed

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.