spanner wrench?

15 replies to this topic
  • tnl

Posted April 12, 2005 - 01:37 PM

Is there an alternative to spending $40 at the Yamaha shop for the steering spanner wrench that is called for in the owners manual? I don't care for using a punch to loosen/tightening it. Do spanner wrench's come in different styles and sizes? Or is that wrench specific to the 05 450f?

• Jackazz

Posted April 12, 2005 - 02:05 PM

I've seen adjustable ones before, but mostly only in old shops & garage sales. You might be able to find some on google or

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 12, 2005 - 02:58 PM

You want this:

Works awesome on the steering stem nut, should work on the shock too if you have the shock out of the bike (otherwise no room to fit it), but I've never tried it on the shock personally. The only down side is you cannot connect it to a torque wrench so you've got to guess at the torque.

• Tubo

Posted April 12, 2005 - 03:01 PM

You won't hurt anything using a hammer and punch. I know it seems a little on the caveman side but most people have been doing it for as long as spanner nuts have been on bikes and it doesn't hurt anything. If you want to be a little more careful you can use a brass punch.

Posted April 12, 2005 - 03:32 PM

ditto, use brass, it wont screw anything up...hopefully :naughty:

• cowboyona426

Posted April 12, 2005 - 08:34 PM

tnl, the punch method works fine, the spanner nut doesn't get much torque on it at all. After doing my bike last time, I bought the spanner kit sirthump posted and it works great. If not, large vise grips also work.

• yz426onNOS

Posted April 12, 2005 - 09:12 PM

Punch, if you over do it it will be hard to turn. Then just back her off a bit.

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 13, 2005 - 02:19 AM

You guys with the punches, if you have ever used the correct wrench and you would never go back to the punch. It's so easy when you have the right tools.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OC768

Posted April 14, 2005 - 08:28 PM

Anyone try one of these yet?

my shop had one for 15$ so I snagged it for doing the shock and works great, haven't tried the head yet though.

• rmracer27

Posted April 15, 2005 - 03:23 AM

I have used the hammer and punch method also. That nut does not have to be very tight. I think the manual says something like 7ft lbs.

• skthom2320

Posted April 15, 2005 - 07:21 PM

You guys with the punches, if you have ever used the correct wrench and you would never go back to the punch. It's so easy when you have the right tools.

What's hard about two taps with a hammer and a punch twice a year?

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 16, 2005 - 04:18 AM

For one the instructions for seating the bearings say that you tighten it up way past what is normal (I don't remember what the actual torque setting is), then back it off then tighten it again. This is much much easier to do with a wrench , no banging things back and forth with a hammer. The tool is under $10, there's no reason not to use it IMHO. :naughty:

• ncmountainman

Posted April 16, 2005 - 05:45 AM

personally,anything i can do with a hammer that has a 'special tool' is just all the more satisfying :D i've been a mechanic since a child working on my dad's race cars and the hammer is probably the most important tool a man can have. big ones ,small ones,soft ones ,hard ones, my wife enjoys the big hard one the best :naughty: :naughty:

• tnl

Posted April 16, 2005 - 05:12 PM

Can anyone answer the last 2 sentences in my original thread?

• Tubo

Posted April 16, 2005 - 05:15 PM

Spanner wrenches come in different styles, sizes and they even make universal spanner wrenches that fit a wide range of spanner nuts. How's that?

• tnl

Posted April 17, 2005 - 06:19 AM

Bingo! Thanks!!!

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.