hard front brake

7 replies to this topic
  • saucebox

Posted April 12, 2005 - 08:34 AM

This spring i noticed my front brake seems hard to pull. last year when i got my bike it seemed like just barely touching the front brake would lock the front tire. anybody got any ideas as to why it pulls so hard now?

• Fastest1

Posted April 12, 2005 - 10:23 AM

Have you pulled the lever off and cleaned the pivots? Maybe dirt under the dust cap at the master cylinder.

• saucebox

Posted April 12, 2005 - 05:58 PM

dont think its dirt.. any other suggestions?

• John407

Posted April 12, 2005 - 06:07 PM

Do you mean that the lever is hard to pull in or that you have to pull the lever harder than you used to get the bike to stop?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • saucebox

Posted April 12, 2005 - 06:14 PM

i have to pull the lever harder than i used to to stop the bike.. seems like i cant even lock up the front tire anymore

• GixRider

Posted April 12, 2005 - 07:05 PM

I had this problem with my 426. I finally solved it by using a scotch brite pad on a rotary air tool. Took about 10 mins to remove the glazing off the disk. After a couple pulls on the lever at speed, the tire was ready to lock. I don't know how long till the disk glazes again but its a cheap fix for now. Somebody else mentioned the master cylinder on the 2000(?)'s sucked and was replaced in 01. Do a search.. I think its a recent topic.

• 02YZ426

Posted April 12, 2005 - 07:18 PM

Have you looked at your front brake pads? Maybe its time for a new set.

• saucebox

Posted April 12, 2005 - 07:49 PM

Somebody else mentioned the master cylinder on the 2000(?)'s sucked and was replaced in 01. Do a search.. I think its a recent topic.

i seen that and thats what reminded me to post about this actually... i'm pretty sure my pads arent shot but i did notice it has like a film on the disk so maybe i'll try cleaning that up and see what happens.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.