Noob needs advice on 86 XR600

1 reply to this topic
  • scot_douglas

Posted April 12, 2005 - 07:54 AM

Background; just bought my fiance a CRF150 and now I want something to follow her around on.

I just found a 86 XR600 for $300 that has a few problems:
1. Owner thinks the timing chain slipped 180 deg off. Claims it has good compression except it sucks in through the exhaust and blows back through the carbs. He has a friend that is a honda tech that told him to just put a new chain on it and ride it.

2. The front wheel doesn't fit the front fork quite right - his freind ran some part numbers and found the forks are off of a 97 XR400 while the wheel is the stock 600 wheel. Friend suggested using a XR400 hub to make things work out.

Posted Image

So, is it worth the $300 risk? He has all of the parts to complete the bike (except for the 600 forks) - he originaly bought the bike in this contion to build a cheap trail bike - just like me. I'm pretty well versed in chainsaws, er, 2stroke bikes, but I reall yneed some help making my mind up on this.

TIA,
Scot

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bluestragler

Posted April 12, 2005 - 09:13 AM

Sounds and looks like a worthwhile project to me, but check out the transmission. Check out the timing chain and do the top end while you're in the engine. I'd find a whole front wheel assembly for those XR400 forks. They should work fine for you. You can always find a pair of XR600 forks on Ebay down the road, but try to find '91 or newer, since that would keep you in cartridge forks. If you spend $600-800 getting this bike in shape, you'll have a great bike with a fresh top end for a good price. Good luck.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.