99 WR400 compression reading?

3 replies to this topic
  • creepy

Posted April 11, 2005 - 06:34 PM

Anyone know what this bike is supposed to show for compression? Ive got an erratic idle on a WR400 thats supposed to have been rebuilt by the previous owner. Im only seeing 100psi cold, which sounds low for 12.5:1
Ive got an 'owners service manual' which doesnt list a compression spec.. is this different from a shop manual?
TY in advance guys =)
:naughty:

• C-ya

Posted April 11, 2005 - 09:35 PM

A shop manual will have what you want. Mine is at home right now. If no one posts back with the comp., I'll do it when I get home. I can't remember if I have even looked at what it is on this bike ( I have a '99 400 as well), but my old XR200R was around 140 or 160 psi.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • C-ya

Posted April 12, 2005 - 06:46 AM

OK, got the manual in hand. I quote: "Yamaha does not provide a required compression specification for this engine, however, an engine of this design typically has 170-180 psi (1195-1265 kPa) compression when broken in properly." It goes on to say that one should take periodic readings to have something to compare to should you actually have a low reading.

• creepy

Posted April 14, 2005 - 10:12 AM

yup that sounds more like it. Ill check my valves first, otherwise it sounds like the previous owner goofed something

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.