Bash/skid plate

11 replies to this topic
  • Chad76

Posted April 11, 2005 - 05:05 PM

Originally posted in General, but wondering if I get anymore response here. I am looking at buying a bash plate for my 04 YZF 450. I am mostly doing bush riding.

I really like the look of the carbon fiber and the fact that its light weight compared to aluminum. However my concern, is the carbon fiber going to take rock hits and not bust or crack etc. Do they scratch up real easy as well and look crappy after a while?

Anyone had any experience? Any brand you recommend?

I think the aluminum would be more suitable, but I haven't seen one that doesn't look like a bucket and nice and slim fitting for the YZF 450. Plus the weight is a huge difference.

• Dano426

Posted April 12, 2005 - 06:04 AM

Devolracing.com has a glide plate that covers your frame, but you will still need to use your stock waterpump guard. I just picked one up because my old skid plate keep collection to much mud. I don't have any expericance with carbon fiber.

• rmracer27

Posted April 12, 2005 - 07:43 AM

I have one of the Devol Skid Plates and it protects the frame and engine. Never have had one of the carbon fiber plates.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted April 12, 2005 - 08:27 AM

I dont know about slim fitting but the www.Utahsportcycle.com is about bulletproof and reasonably priced. Ive got 2 of them and love them

• Chad76

Posted April 12, 2005 - 05:14 PM

Thanks guys for your info. I might be swinging towards a aluminum bash plate. Not sure if a carbon fiber is a proven product for a bash plate. They look damn nice but dont know if they will hold up to bush riding.

One other question. Does anyone have a picture of the Devol Glide plate fitted on a yzf 450? I have seen a picture of the actual glide plate but not fitted on the actual bike.

Thanks.

• crayztwentyseven

Posted April 12, 2005 - 10:14 PM

Chad,
I have only run the carbon skid plates on my yz450 and I also do a lot of bush/creekbed riding as well as trail and mx. holds up well and is lighter than alum. but it looks like crap fast(at least when riding in bush or creek for me) getting bashed will make the edges chip sometimes and it wont look good. however I have cased it on rough rocky surfaces really hard and have yet to see any cracking. I have just come to grips that my bike looks like crap ,so I dont care how it looks as long as it performs top notch. If I were to go get an aluminum skid plate I would check out the Works Connection ones :naughty:

just my2 cents

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toastedfingers

Posted April 13, 2005 - 10:15 PM

My buddy has one of those carbon fiber skid plates and it's pretty cool but it is getting hammered on the rocks. I have a flat land racing skid plate on my 00 YZ426 and I love it, but it isn't as sleek or tight fitting as the carbon fiber plate. If mine cracks it's not hard to fix. I don't know one person that could fix a carbon fiber plate though. Good riding.

• lilmule400

Posted April 14, 2005 - 08:20 AM

I've got the Works Connection plate. Much larger / better coverage than stock. Here's the best view of it...Posted Image :naughty:

• Chad76

Posted April 14, 2005 - 02:53 PM

Thanks guys....appreciate the informative feedback. Now I must just make a decision.

Cheers.

• Chad76

Posted April 14, 2005 - 03:04 PM

lilmule..

Nice shot of your bash plate :naughty:

Question...have you bothered with engine guards as well? Cant see in your nice picky if the works guard wraps around the engine as well?

• lilmule400

Posted April 14, 2005 - 05:05 PM

Here are a few closeups of the skid plate.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here's a pic of the garage ...
Posted Image
And the toys..
Posted Image

• Chad76

Posted April 14, 2005 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for the close up lilmule.

Hey, I think you need a biger garage. It seems you dont have enough room to work on all your toys. :naughty:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.