Fork Seal Leak - replace metals or not?

3 replies to this topic
  • 02WR426

Posted April 11, 2005 - 04:27 PM

My 02 WR 426 fork seals finally started leaking, so I've done the easy part, (torn them down for inspection). The manual recommends new slide metal and "piston" metal as well as the seals. The metals look good to me, no unusual scores or wear. Do you guys always change these out or is it a waste of money? The bike's a few years old but fairly low mileage.

Thanks for any feedback. TM

• sleeman

Posted April 11, 2005 - 04:29 PM

Just change the oil and dust seals, dont worry about the metal slides.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SWD6

Posted April 11, 2005 - 06:22 PM

My 99 WR still had all the coating on it. I just changed the oil, seal, and the dust wiper. :naughty:

• 02WR426

Posted April 13, 2005 - 04:18 PM

:naughty: Finished the job tonight, hope to try them out this weekend. New oil seals, dust seals and oil. Total cost about $100.

Note about fork seal driver. I found a $0.49 ABS 1.5" pipe coupling at TSC, chamfered one end and sectioned a 1/4 of it away so it shaped like a "C". It snapped over the tube and fit nice, a soft hammer helped to tap the coupling to seat the washer / metal, and the seal was then seated with hand pressure only using the same tool.

For anyone contemplating this, it was the first time I've done an inverted fork and I'd say it went pretty smooth following the manual. A proper seal driver here is $99 + tax. Or you can cheap out like I did and spend 2 bits.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.