Scotts Damper - which kit to buy?

13 replies to this topic
  • kincade

Posted April 11, 2005 - 12:07 PM

I'm looking to get a Scotts triple clamp kit, w/ the damper, bars, and upper triple clamp for the best balance of price and performance... However, I'm concerned about running the damper without some pad over it to protect my noggin!

I've found the following:

Scotts Kit: http://www.scottsper...pleclampkit.php

BRP Kit:

BRP Sub Mount (won't be available for 3-4 weeks and raises the bars 25mm, I'm 5'8" and they said that would be too high for me):

Scotts Low Mount kit (not adjustable while riding) : http://www.scottsper...php?PartType=30

Am I missing any? Can anyone give me some insight as to what to run?

Thanks in advance!

• clark4131

Posted April 11, 2005 - 12:44 PM

I bought the whole Scotts kit and had those same worries. I found one at that was relatively inexpensive ($20) and works well. There is another alternative at It was reviewed on the forum as well. It looks kinda trick...SC

• Tomppa68

Posted April 11, 2005 - 09:09 PM

I'm trying to get Scotts Performance to answer me when Sub Mount kit for WR is available.. no response :naughty:

I need to install Rally GPS cradle, so Sub Mount is the only solution. Maybe I need to go with GPR :naughty:

• kincade

Posted April 11, 2005 - 09:17 PM

Scotts told me 4-6 weeks, that they just finished beta testing the parts...

Steve - how thick is the padding on the DBG pad? Is it thick like a crossbar pad, or just cloth?

• thumper_dad

Posted April 12, 2005 - 04:57 AM

Scotts told me 4-6 weeks, that they just finished beta testing the parts...

Steve - how thick is the padding on the DBG pad? Is it thick like a crossbar pad, or just cloth?

It says its 1" thick pressed neoprene, my guess is that its just enough to take some of the initial bang off if your headed for a big crash.

• bent trent

Posted April 12, 2005 - 08:01 AM

I run renthal 7/8 bar with a bent crossbar. You can also use Jimmy Button bend with no mods required. I also swaped the arm around so the damper is facing the rear. I used it this way for over 5 years and it works fine.

Trent DeRosia

• PumpkinHumper

Posted April 12, 2005 - 08:30 AM

I have the BRpit setup and love it. going on my 2nd year without a Scotts tatoo on my chest or face. Must be doing something right.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kincade

Posted April 12, 2005 - 09:21 AM

Trent; did you bend the crossbar yourself?

YZman; which setup are you talking about? I thought the SUB mount was brand new and not out yet?

• Canuck

Posted April 12, 2005 - 09:28 AM

BRP has tested their submount triple/clamp combo on the 05'WR450 and should be ready for sale late this week or early next

• kincade

Posted April 12, 2005 - 09:37 AM

They told me the same; however, Scotts told me it's at least 4-6 weeks out, and BRP says their waiting on scotts to make the last parts.

• Canuck

Posted April 12, 2005 - 09:46 AM

Time will tell! Apparently BRP is waiting for parts to be anodized

• kirkw

Posted April 12, 2005 - 01:21 PM

I bought my Scott's in December and they were working on the sub-mount then too. I run protapers and made a pad, whose material looks a lot like the one in Clarke4131's link, that was cut to the same size as the protaper pad. Actually, I just cut a hole int he top of the protaper pad cover and at the bottom and it is a very stealthy set up with sufficient padding. If you hit that hard enough to hurt your self there are a lot of other things that will also be taking a piece out of you anyway... I got the foam out of some electronics packing for a printer I had recently purchased.

• bent trent

Posted April 12, 2005 - 02:05 PM

I bent the bar myself in a sheetmetal roller that had grooves for round stock. I did my own after I seen Renthals that came pre-bent. I believe they are available from scotts. If not try Renthal.

Trent DeRosia

• kincade

Posted April 12, 2005 - 02:49 PM

Talked with BRP again today; the SUB mount will be ready in the next week for ALUMINUM framed bikes, steel framed bikes will be several more weeks. :naughty:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.