Question about speedometer

9 replies to this topic
  • chawness

Posted April 11, 2005 - 09:58 AM

I have a street legal '92 XR600R, It has a regular round speedometer hooked up to the trip cable. The speedometer is not working. I replaced the cable and it still does not work. I noticed when I spin the front wheel with the cable off the little shaft doesnt turn in the gear box on the front hub. Do you think I need a new gear box or is it possible that whoever installed the front bearings last time didnt do something right?

• hill5150

Posted April 11, 2005 - 10:06 AM

Lose the cable and get the Trailtech electronic, it works great :naughty:

• chawness

Posted April 12, 2005 - 04:14 AM

That link goes to a trailer manufacturer??? :naughty:

• hill5150

Posted April 12, 2005 - 05:16 AM

Try search trailtech computers on yahoo....It's the Panoram model about 75.00 installs in 1 hour.

Posted April 13, 2005 - 01:58 PM

Before buying a trail tech speedo try and make your stock speedo work i have a trial tech on two of my bikes and can't stand them!!! there very slow reading and small plus the batterys go dead way to fast
good luck!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hill5150

Posted April 13, 2005 - 02:28 PM

Mine works flawlessly... :naughty:

• jeff leonard

Posted April 13, 2005 - 08:37 PM

Put a trail tech on my BRP for baja and it works great, mileage and speed are extremely accurate.

• RhedF350

Posted April 13, 2005 - 09:27 PM

It's common on the Honda speedo drives for the two plastic nibs on the gear to wear flat. The corresponding ones on the wheel are metal . The part from the dealer is probably about 15$ now and an easy fix. When you take the drive apart, also clean and regrease the whole assembly. It's about a one hour job total.

• chawness

Posted April 18, 2005 - 06:48 AM

Thanks. Thats the answer I was looking for!

• StevePSD

Posted April 18, 2005 - 06:03 PM

I second the TrailTech. The only issue I have is that the speedo display is overly sensitive to changes in speed, the update rate could be reduced or averaged over the last couple of updates.

Related Content

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.