liquid leaking out of lower triple clamp.

5 replies to this topic
  • JeffWR

Posted April 11, 2005 - 08:53 AM

I haven't had my '05 WR450 for long but went riding yesterday. I filled up the bike with gas, loaded it in my truck, drove for 3/4 hour, the last part of drive was 5 miles on a rough dirt road. When the bike was unloaded and sitting for a few minutes something was dripping from the lower triple clamp pinch bolt area left side. It smelled like oil gas mixture. I put octane booster in so maybe that hides the smell a little. Kinda wierd but I am assuming that it was from the vent tube of gas tank???
Thanks, Jeff

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted April 11, 2005 - 09:12 AM

Kinda wierd but I am assuming that it was from the vent tube of gas tank???
Thanks, Jeff

B I N G O :naughty:

• RADRick

Posted April 11, 2005 - 11:49 AM

Gas flowing out the vent tube will wash down into the steering stem lower bearing. If it happens a lot it can flush the bearing grease out and cause premature wear. Avoid this by never filling the tank all the way to the top or reroute the hose.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JeffWR

Posted April 11, 2005 - 06:42 PM

Thanks for the replies!

That was my next question on washing grease out, thanks for the tip.

• Jackazz

Posted April 12, 2005 - 07:46 AM

I reccomend routing your tank vent like so. It keeps the bearing "washout" a non-issue & it "fits" alot nicer with my bar & top triple arrangemet. I just pull the hose off the plastic check valve when I refill, leaving the long part of the hose zip-tied to the bike. :naughty:

• rich128

Posted April 12, 2005 - 08:35 AM

I had the same problem last weekend. Wouldn't one of those cute little replacement gas cap vents work? That's what I was thinking of getting. There about 2.5" long and stick straight up. ????

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.