Backfire screen needed?

6 replies to this topic
  • miguelitro

Posted April 11, 2005 - 07:40 AM

so i have a bunch of airfilters for my 650 but one had the screen attached to it with glue and the filter was trash. kept the screen but do I really need to use it?

Thanks guys

oh yeah this thing is beast, i really like it, nice step up from the 91 600. Now i can improve!!!

damage for 1 day of riding-
removed my sharkfin, by breaking the mount that also holds the caliper, and snapped the screw to the swingarm. How did that rock happen to meee???? :D

lost the seat, well it fell off, my fault must not have locktited those bolts :naughty: :naughty: :D
it sucks when you are climbing a hill something slaps your arse then you see your seat pass you on the left. I hate being passed!!!

nice bike this one is!!!!

• TimBrp

Posted April 11, 2005 - 08:29 AM

Sounds like a fun ride. My aftermarket sharkfin did the same thing to me. Broke the caliper mount. That's a heli-arc weld fix by the way. I have a brandy new honda disc guard that I'm mounting up for the season. I'm not spending $75 on a new rotor or $20 to have the mount welded again...

• frankstr

Posted April 11, 2005 - 01:32 PM

I don't use the backfire screen, Some guys do...
Just don't let it backfire, If you flood the bike, Hold the kill button while you clear it out............ :naughty:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted April 12, 2005 - 03:18 AM

Frank do you use something to support the filter. Like the UNI cage? Mine backfired through the carb a few times on me. It feels like the ultimate fart under the seat. Poor piggy...must've been beans in the gas... :naughty:

• frankstr

Posted April 12, 2005 - 04:48 AM

Tim, Yes i have a UNI filter with the frame it comes with...... :naughty:

• TimBrp

Posted April 12, 2005 - 05:28 AM

Kewl... That's what I use. I have an Xr's only backfire screen. Haven't used it. Hopefully when I get the edelbrock there will be less burnt foam...

• miguelitro

Posted April 12, 2005 - 07:29 AM

yeah lost the ims fin so someone is gonna be stoked on finding that!

Interesting about that screen
I might just throw it in there behind the filter foam in that case!
It also seems like it would hold the fiter more solidly.
I'm not real concerned about losing a little power, this bike has plenty for me!!!
I'm no slouch either, it just simply blows me away how much bottom end pull and top speed and power this BRP has!

Related Content

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  57 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.