Trail Tech Question

26 replies to this topic
  • dangermouse007

Posted April 11, 2005 - 01:17 AM

I have fitted the Trail tech to my bike, all is fine apart from the speed is reading far to high (120mph on the motorway), now I have check the Wheel circum ie 2205 (measure and made 2198), and that is what I have entered

So any Idea peeps

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 11, 2005 - 05:08 AM

You need to reposition your sensor radially to get consistent readings.

• dangermouse007

Posted April 11, 2005 - 09:14 AM

Thanks, but i thought I did that ... will have to move it up a bit ...

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 11, 2005 - 09:54 AM

try some 3M mounting tape to get the position and then do your final drill hole. :naughty:

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted April 11, 2005 - 10:33 AM

I have fitted the Trail tech to my bike, all is fine apart from the speed is reading far to high (120mph on the motorway), now I have check the Wheel circum ie 2205 (measure and made 2198), and that is what I have entered

So any Idea peeps

Sounds like you getting a double reading. Move the sensor or the magnet higher or lower.

• WheelsUp

Posted April 11, 2005 - 03:53 PM

The thing comes from the factory set to kph... did you change it to mph?

• Demento

Posted April 11, 2005 - 09:46 PM

KInda off topic, but instead of making a new topic, i got a question. IM looking to buy this system for my crf 230 (2005). Its about 65-75 at my local dealer. I this computer a good option? I mainly like the odometer/speedometer functions, and then the mile alarm. I havent found any other decently priced computers.

• WheelsUp

Posted April 11, 2005 - 09:52 PM

It's not a full-bore enduro computer, but it is extremely nice if you do trail riding.

It has two "service" alarms, one for oil and one for "maintenance", which displays a wrench icon. It shows total miles, total runtime, and has resettable "trip" mileage and runtime displays, as well as average speed for current trip. If you are below your average speed it displays a "down" arrow, and if you are above your average speed it displays an "up" arrow.

It is usable on two different bikes, so you would only need to buy the adapter/installation kit for a second bike.

It's also lighter than the stock Yamaha odometer.

• Demento

Posted April 11, 2005 - 10:02 PM

Thats good to hear. All ill be doing for quite a while ( As ive only been riding for 2 months, but hav ridden every weekend since.) is riding trails. Does it tell the current running speed? Or just the arrows once it gets the avarage speed calculated? But once again, the biggest thing i want is a good odometer/speedometer. Lol, and im not sharing that sucker if i buy it with my own cold hard cash. :naughty:

• WheelsUp

Posted April 11, 2005 - 10:20 PM

Ya... the primary display shows trip mileage on the left and current speed on the right. Current time is in small print in the middle-bottom, and trip runtime is top middle.

You can press "mode" to display average and max speed. These both reset when you reset trip time and mileage.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Demento

Posted April 11, 2005 - 10:35 PM

Sweet, Ya got me sold. You should be a salesman. :naughty:

• WheelsUp

Posted April 11, 2005 - 10:37 PM

Sweet, Ya got me sold. You should be a salesman. :naughty:

Nahh... I'm a tech... I tell the truth too often to be successful at sales :naughty:

Now the bad part.... you'll want to have a cheat sheet handy. The 3-button interface takes a lot of getting used to as far as how to reset things.

Resetting the oil and maintenance icons is interesting. You go into the menu where you would actually set them, and the mere act of viewing the setting does the reset for you IF it has counted down to zero... if not, it doesn't reset. Funky thing is, there's no way OUT of this setup menu... it just has to time out.

Fortunately, it takes pressing all three buttons at the same time to completely clear the memory.

• Demento

Posted April 11, 2005 - 10:53 PM

Hm... Ill have to learn it then. Ill keep in mind to let it go when im setting that kinda stuff up. Ive always had the four-button digital watches where you have to push and hold diffferent combonations of buttons. Shouldnt take me too long.

Thanks for the help tho.

• WheelsUp

Posted April 11, 2005 - 10:55 PM

One other thing... it has a backlight (press the right button) but to save the battery, it only stays on for a few seconds, so it's not too useful for night riding since you basically have to stop to look at it.

• dangermouse007

Posted April 12, 2005 - 07:37 AM

Yup its in MPH...but I will try the tape thing first then Drill Another Hole, but this time in the Plastic of the Trail Tech using the old hole.... but yes it could be a double reading thing.. will let ya know ..

• jonova

Posted April 12, 2005 - 11:51 AM

So any Idea peeps

I had the same problem. Check for any cut or worn wires going to the sensor. also check to make sure the the magnet on the wheel has not moved at all. Also make sure that the magnet on the wheel is clean of any material. Good luck!! :naughty:

• Demento

Posted April 12, 2005 - 02:11 PM

One more question...

is it easy to mount and get going?

• WheelsUp

Posted April 12, 2005 - 08:06 PM

Mounting the sensor is the toughest part. It's easy with the wheel off, but then it's harder to line up with the magnet.
I was able to get the Makita between the spokes to drill the 1/8" hole in the caliper mount after I removed the caliper.
I think it took me 20 minutes to mount using the aluminum dashboard that goes on the bar clamps:
http://www.thumperta...tachmentid=3519

• C-ya

Posted April 12, 2005 - 09:05 PM

One other thing... it has a backlight (press the right button) but to save the battery, it only stays on for a few seconds, so it's not too useful for night riding since you basically have to stop to look at it.

I used a bicycle computer (Avocet 45tt) as a speedo for my CBR9. Since it didn't have a light either, I went to Radio Shack, got a 12VDC green LED, wired it into an always-on 12V circuit on the bike and used a coat hanger and some heat shrink to make a bracket for it. Positioned it right over the unit, and Voila!, night illumination.

I don't plan on any night riding with my WR, but I do plan to mount a similar bike computer. Just speed and odo are all I'm looking for, too.

• RichBaker

Posted April 14, 2005 - 11:25 AM

The "Endurance" computer is not suitable for use on a dirtbike.....unless it never sees the dirt! I speak from experience. I just broke the 2nd one I've had on my WR450. They replaced the 1st in May of last year, the replacement just started acting weird. When I get moving the display turns to gibberish, it blanks, then random segments appear-nothing readable. Trail Tech was not encouraging on the phone, said to send it in, but they prob'ly won't do more than offer me a discount on a replacement.....after close to $130 after buying the computer and mounting kit, I am not happy!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.