Stock Flywheel Question

12 replies to this topic
  • Crabtree426

Posted April 10, 2005 - 07:27 PM

What is the weight of a 2000 YZF426's flywheel? I want to install a 10 or 12 oz. on my bike.

• grayracer513

Posted April 10, 2005 - 07:50 PM

The answer to your question is actually zero. The 10 or 12 ounces you mention is the what the add-on weight weighs, not the weight of the flywheel itself. Your stock unit has no added weight yet, hence my semi-smartass answer. :naughty:

• Crabtree426

Posted April 11, 2005 - 04:30 PM

The answer to your question is actually zero. The 10 or 12 ounces you mention is the what the add-on weight weighs, not the weight of the flywheel itself. Your stock unit has no added weight yet, hence my semi-smartass answer. :naughty:

Makes sense. I figured Yamaha had some kind of weight on it to make the power hook up to the ground better. I guess they probably can manipulate the weight of the fly itself to get it where they want it. Thanks.

• Goosedog

Posted April 11, 2005 - 05:31 PM

I want to install a 10 or 12 oz. on my bike.

Go 12oz :naughty:

• Crabtree426

Posted April 11, 2005 - 06:05 PM

Goosedog, I know you've told me 12 before and you're not the only one. I went on the steahly website and they have a chart that tells you which weight is best for your riding style and ability. They say 12 for intermediate and 10 for agressive trail riders. The problem is that I am both. I have 2 buddies that I ride with that love to run hard but sometimes I take it easy and putz along with some of my less experienced friends. I'm still undecided but I'm leaning towards the 10 oz. to be honest. I'll keep you informed and let me know if you see anyone talking about the 10 oz.. Later

• Goosedog

Posted April 12, 2005 - 03:35 AM

It sounds like we have similar riding habits Crabtree and the 12 worked great for me. I have no comparison for the 10, only factory to 12 and that was just what the bike needed. I had heard that 10's just not quite enough to really make the difference. Try posting this in the off-road riding technique forum and state your riding style along with the two weights your concidering and see what the general concenses is.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted April 12, 2005 - 05:23 AM

the 12 doesn't slow goosedog down any when we go skunkape huntin' :naughty:

• Goosedog

Posted April 12, 2005 - 05:27 AM

the 12 doesn't slow goosedog down any when we go skunkape huntin' :naughty:

...and lack of a front brake doesn't seem to hold you back either, you da man. :naughty:

• Dano426

Posted April 12, 2005 - 05:48 AM

What is the weight of a 2000 YZF426's flywheel? I want to install a 10 or 12 oz. on my bike.

If you are trail riding get a 12oz.
If you are riding MX and trail riding get a 10 oz

• Crabtree426

Posted April 12, 2005 - 08:12 AM

If you are trail riding get a 12oz.
If you are riding MX and trail riding get a 10 oz

Here is my big concern I guess. I know I'll loose some of my bikes hit but I still want to be able to power away from my buddies out of a turn. I know a lot of guys put the weight on to control the massive power of the bike but honestly I'm strong and comfortable enough on the bike that the power doesn't impress me anymore if that makes sense. It's just right. I just want to be faster and I hear that the controlled power takes away from wheelspin. I also like the fact that you can chug the bike more in tight stuff. Please comment all.

• Crabtree426

Posted April 12, 2005 - 08:13 AM

You guys are doing a good job of swaying me. I'm 50/50 now.

• ncmountainman

Posted April 12, 2005 - 09:27 AM

you don't lose any power it puts it to the ground better which in turn = more speed. like he said woods 12,track+woods 10 :naughty:

• grayracer513

Posted April 12, 2005 - 10:03 AM

Flywheel weights add to the rotating mass of the engine. This simply gives it more to do when it tries to accelerate, and keeps the engine in motion longer when the throttle is off. It's like comparing the front tire on your motorcycle to the front tire on your kid's bicycle. Which one is easier to spin up to speed and then stop?

An engine like the big YZF has very little work to do in low gear compared to its ability. Running at speed is a lot harder. If you ran one 426 with a stock flywheel against another with a 12oz weight added well up into 5th gear, and then accelerated to top speed, you would see very little difference in the two. But in low gear, the extra flywheel weight is a bigger percentage of what the engine has to do. In bad traction, the one with the extra weight will be less likely to break into uncontrolled wheelspin because it has to accelerate a heavier crank assembly. It will also have a little less engine braking in lower gears, and idle more stably. But except for drag racing in first or second or third between corners in really good traction, it won't be much slower.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.