Airbox Question

5 replies to this topic
  • MNellis

Posted April 10, 2005 - 04:14 PM

I know this is a dumb question but I can't find the detail I need in the shop manual. Is my '00 426 suppose to have a lid that goes on the airbox? I'm putting the bike back together and can not find an airbox top but there are two holes with threads that look like something should bolt there. The parts fiche does not show a top either and I don't recall taking one off. It seems kinda strange that the seat is the only thing covering the top of the airbox.

Thanks

• Satch0922

Posted April 10, 2005 - 04:34 PM

the "YZ" does NOT have a lid. The "WR" DOES have a lid.

• grayracer513

Posted April 10, 2005 - 05:46 PM

the "YZ" does NOT have a lid. The "WR" DOES have a lid.

...and otherwise, the two are the same. Something you might want to do...

Take a look at an '03 or later YZF airbox. The opening at the top is much larger (it wasn't built to have a lid on it). If you cut yours open to look more like an '03, you won't gain any performance, but you will be able to put an fresh oiled filter in it without rubbing it all over the inside of the box. My 450 was so much easier to do than my '01 250F that I modded the 250 to more or less match.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MNellis

Posted April 10, 2005 - 07:53 PM

Thanks guys, I thought I was losing my mind....and my wife thought so too. I had her out in the garage the other night looking for that thing for almost an hour the other night.

'preciate it.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 11, 2005 - 10:13 AM

greyracer, how much did you cut off the top of the box? I'm thinking of doing that to mine as well, getting the filter in is a real PITA, but I'm pretty good at it now.

• grayracer513

Posted April 11, 2005 - 10:31 AM

greyracer, how much did you cut off the top of the box? I'm thinking of doing that to mine as well, getting the filter in is a real PITA, but I'm pretty good at it now.

I left the forward edge pretty much alone. I cut the sides back even with the subframe rails, and the rear overhang I cut about in half. Makes it much simpler.

....and my wife thought (I was losing my mind) too.

That's the price we pay... :naughty:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.