Xr 650 R Vs Xr 650 L

23 replies to this topic
  • Wheels up

Posted April 10, 2005 - 03:38 PM

If someone was take a 650 L with my mods and race a 650 R down a dirt road out through gears from a stop how badly if at all would I get beat. My bike tops out at 100 with 15/48 gearing and pulls WAY harder than a stock 650 L.

650 L (few mods) VS 650 R (stock) ?????????
650 L (few mods) VS 650 R (uncorked) ?????????

Just wondering?

Thanks guys

• Max Power

Posted April 10, 2005 - 04:01 PM

If someone was take a 650 L with my mods and race a 650 R down a dirt road out through gears from a stop how badly if at all would I get beat. My bike tops out at 100 with 15/48 gearing and pulls WAY harder than a stock 650 L.

650 L (few mods) VS 650 R (stock) ?????????
650 L (few mods) VS 650 R (uncorked) ?????????

Just wondering?

Thanks guys

What mods have you done?

• justicedone

Posted April 10, 2005 - 04:05 PM

as a 03 XR650L owner I am thinking you would be killed, but then go to the streets and get even !

• Wheels up

Posted April 10, 2005 - 04:44 PM

What mods have you done?

Stage 1 hotcam
Yoshimura RS-3 Exhaust
Dyno jet kit (165-55)
DJ spring-needle
Uni filter
De-smog
De-snorkel
15/48 gearing
120/100 Milleville

Bike has been lightened by 25-30 pounds.

• frankstr

Posted April 10, 2005 - 05:18 PM

On pavement your L might give a stock R a run for it's money in a sprint to 85 mph. The R's are rev limited to about 85 mph with stock gearing.

I think the uncorked R should put the run on you in a sprint to 85mph.

Off road however, I would put all my money on the R.

Key word, Might, My vote is for the R.................. :naughty:

• Wheels up

Posted April 10, 2005 - 05:24 PM

How much better could it really work?

A stock CRF 450 R cant pull on me by much out through gears.

• justicedone

Posted April 10, 2005 - 07:07 PM

exactly, I am 40 and have done my kicking...I will keep my push button, hill masher... thank you very much,lol

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 11, 2005 - 11:10 AM

How much better could it really work?

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten flamed by the XRR riders. They must all be out riding. :naughty:

The L is a hybrid bike, jack of most stuff, master of none no matter what you do to it. The R is a purpose-built dirt bike. All business. Stronger motor, better suspension, different frame angles and water-cooled. You get better power with a water-pumper since the engines have tighter tolerances and higher compression. There are big differences between dirt bikes and DS bikes.

That's not to say that a skilled rider on a highly modded L couldn't keep up with a guy on a stock R, but you'll be working a lot harder on the L in the dirt. On the street it might be a bit different. The one thing they do share is that they're both Hondas. :naughty: But that's where the similarities end...

• Misfit

Posted April 11, 2005 - 04:07 PM

I'd say on a straight open road it would be pretty even but once you get in the dirt and especially on the tight single track the 650R would win. But you also would have to consider the riders skill level also. I'm planning on buying A new or very nice used 650R later this summer cant wait :naughty: Gonna retire the 650L to street duty. :naughty:

• NVFirefighter

Posted April 11, 2005 - 06:07 PM

Bike has been lightened by 25-30 pounds.

How did you manage that??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • resslera

Posted April 11, 2005 - 07:09 PM

I got a new 650R, had baja kit installed and tagged it. The bike rocks but I tell you what, riding on the highway too long isn't too pleasent! The vibration literally goes straight to your ass! Could be the Dunlop D606s causing the vibration but could be the hard seat as well.

Havn't ridden one but I bet the 650L is much sweeter on the street than the R and I'm assuming a higher top end speed? My uncorked 650R will get into the 90s but that is also at 7,000ft altitude. I imagine better performance down low with bigger jetting.

• smashinz2002

Posted April 11, 2005 - 08:16 PM

The 650R, uncorked, is not rev-limited to 85mph, mine will do 100 with stock gearing, and it will get there very quickly.
I'm not sure what your mods will do for the XRL in terms of outright acceleration, but, I'm telling ya dude, the uncorked/jetted 650R is extremely powerful and quick, we are talking very abrupt and sudden power, I can't imagine an L outrunning it, even a modded one.

• smashinz2002

Posted April 11, 2005 - 08:23 PM

Ah man Resslera! Plan a trip down to Texas or somewhere out of that 7000' altitude! Bring it down here, jet it with a 180 main, and enjoy some REAL power for a change!
I know you would be surprised by the large increase in power at elevs. lower than 1000' and rich jetting.

• malachi

Posted April 11, 2005 - 08:42 PM

The 650R, uncorked, is not rev-limited to 85mph, mine will do 100 with stock gearing, and it will get there very quickly.
I'm not sure what your mods will do for the XRL in terms of outright acceleration, but, I'm telling ya dude, the uncorked/jetted 650R is extremely powerful and quick, we are talking very abrupt and sudden power, I can't imagine an L outrunning it, even a modded one.

I have to agree, I'm a former red rider and I've ridden both. The R model is a rocket compared to the L. And I mean they're not even in the same league. If Honda made the R model a factory dualsport I'd still be riding red!

• qadsan

Posted April 11, 2005 - 09:22 PM

...but I tell you what, riding on the highway too long isn't too pleasent! The vibration literally goes straight to your ass! Could be the Dunlop D606s causing the vibration but could be the hard seat as well...

Guts racing tall soft seat foam definitely makes the pavement more pleasant for your back side :naughty:

I just wish I could get the street lights to stop skipping me when I'm in a left turn lane all by myself.

• LotsOfBikes

Posted April 11, 2005 - 09:56 PM

A lot can be said for comfort on the long trips. I love my 1995 650L, 2-wheeled lounge chair :naughty:

• XR6's_rule

Posted April 12, 2005 - 04:08 AM

A stock, unrestricted XR650R puts out around 46-47 ponies at the rear wheel and an XR650L is good for about 34-35 hp at the rear wheel stock. It's going to take a pretty hot-rodded L to even hope to match the R model.

• ghoti

Posted April 12, 2005 - 07:17 AM

I say my lightly modded L will definately not lose by more than 5 feet.

As long as the race is 10 feet long :naughty:

• sgifford

Posted April 12, 2005 - 09:16 AM

I love my L, and I'll take anything in the dirt with it. If the R had the magic button, I think I'd get that instead and dual-sport it. But I'm out of the kick-start business...

• BIG RED

Posted April 12, 2005 - 03:57 PM

I just bought a new 03 650R and my Dad just bought a new 05 650L and i would say both stock they a very simalar in acceleration. but that will end soon when my jets arrive!! I have raced on the road my buddies 1992 DR650S and up to about 75mph we are dead even and that is with both bikes dead stock. but in my defence my 650R is running like a bag of crap. all plugged up every time i open the throttle after a quick shift the bike bogs for a second or two.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.