Slowing Down my 426 for the trail

28 replies to this topic
  • YZ426FROCKS

Posted April 13, 2005 - 08:23 AM

Powernow Mod will smooth things out, Flywheel will help!

• Sam Wancket

Posted April 13, 2005 - 08:26 AM

There is a new product on the market called the Throttle Cam System that will do what you are looking for. It is used by many pros from flat track, Motocross to woods riders and racers. www.g2ergo.com

• cowboyona426

Posted April 13, 2005 - 10:48 AM

IMO, PowerNow mod is a wash, I never noticed any effect until the plate bent and made my bike run like crap. Changing the sprockets is definitely the cheap and easy way to go, as well as the one with the most options.

• yamahauler44

Posted April 13, 2005 - 11:06 AM

change the sprockets, but soon you will find out that you learn better clutch controll and you will love the snap!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted April 13, 2005 - 06:08 PM

IMO, PowerNow mod is a wash, I never noticed any effect until the plate bent and made my bike run like crap. Changing the sprockets is definitely the cheap and easy way to go, as well as the one with the most options.

Too bad because mine works great! Always loved the way it helped starting and low end. How did you bend it?

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 13, 2005 - 06:23 PM

Get a Rekluse Clutch first

Do not do anything to gearing until you get the clutch :D

You will have a woods rocket, that is now Controllable and a blast to ride

Did I mention you will never stall :D :naughty: :naughty: :D

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 13, 2005 - 06:39 PM

Get a Rekluse Clutch first

Do not do anything to gearing until you get the clutch :naughty:

You will have a woods rocket, that is now Controllable and a blast to ride

Did I mention you will never stall :naughty: :D :D :D

Forget the flywheel, you do a search on both the flywheel and the Reklus you will see that the rekluse is the Schnizit

• cowboyona426

Posted April 13, 2005 - 08:53 PM

Too bad because mine works great! Always loved the way it helped starting and low end. How did you bend it?

Good question! I had a JamesNow actually (the first one James himself made) and one day my bike started running like crap about 3/4 to full throttle. I thought it was the CDI or something horribly expensive, but decided to pull and clean the carb first. Turns out the plate was bent into a nice U and creating all sorts of problems. Put the stock "manifold" back on and the problem went away. I'm just glad the plate didn't find it's way into my cylinder! :naughty:

• minerbill

Posted April 16, 2005 - 06:43 AM

I just went up 3 teeth on the back. This is just a hair under a 1 tooth in the front.
Stock ratio is 3.5:1, Stock front + three teeth in back is 3.74:1 and + one in front with stock rear is 3.77:1.

I ride quite a bit on rocky/sandy hills and like to climb big hills. This change has made a world of difference to me. I have a lot more confidence on the junk and in tight spots and it climbs big hills with great power. I've quit looking a flywheel weights for a while because I'm not stalling the bike like I did before. I also use 5th more now.

I had originally wanted to only go up two teeth but RMMC had 52 tooth chro-moly sprockets on sale. So far so good.

Hope this helps.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.