Slowing Down my 426 for the trail

28 replies to this topic
  • beasleys

Posted April 10, 2005 - 11:09 AM

I need to slow down my '01 426. I am trying to ride on some slower trails and my bike is just too fast and stalls to easy. I was told to raise the number of teeth on the rear sprocket and it will lower the speed. Also I was looking in to a flywheel weight to hopefully stop the stalling. Does any have any advice without saying go by a WR. I ride mainly trails and fire road type terrian in Florida where it is either very sandy or very wet and not much in between. I occasionally will head to the track but very rarely.

• rebel1916

Posted April 10, 2005 - 12:37 PM

i would try the weight befor i got to nuts with the gearing. if you lower the gearing too much it can make the bike too responsive. ie wheelies on singletrack etc

• firezwr426

Posted April 10, 2005 - 01:40 PM

drop one tooth on the countershaft... quick easy and inexpensive.. :naughty:

• beasleys

Posted April 10, 2005 - 01:51 PM

Should the countershaft be done in conjunction with the Flywheel Weight

• wr450fyamaha

Posted April 10, 2005 - 03:54 PM

just drop one tooth on the front sproket....that will make a major differance!!!

• OldenPhatt

Posted April 10, 2005 - 04:23 PM

I have the same basic needs and put a 12 oz. flywheel weight, two extra rear teeth and a Rekluse auto-clutch and the Rekluse made the biggest difference by about 100 miles. I really don't need the lower gearing now as the bike simply will not stall and can motor through anything. I will go back to standard gearing next time I replace the chain and sprokets. Most guys who run the Rekluse are not using a flywheel weight either, although I think it helps smooth things out. The word from me is Rekluse, Rekluse, Rekluse.

• beasleys

Posted April 10, 2005 - 04:34 PM

How much and where can I get a Rekluse auto-clutch from? Does it change anything else on the bike?

• yamahauler44

Posted April 10, 2005 - 05:49 PM

add a tooth to the front sprocket

• ovrrdrive

Posted April 11, 2005 - 12:48 AM

add a tooth to the front sprocket

You have that backwards.

Add to the rear or drop from the front.

I dropped one tooth on the front of mine and it helped a lot.

• Goosedog

Posted April 11, 2005 - 03:58 AM

My '02 has the 12oz FW weight, 14/51 gearing, a steering damper and is perfect for the woods. Don't go to a WR, it's too heavy and too sluggish if you're used to a MX bike. I also don't agree that you need a Recluse, now that mine's tamed down I hardly ever touch the clutch at all. I'm in 1st or 2nd in tight singletrack and only use the clutch for a sudden throttle chop if I hit something to save from stalling. Check out this thread too:http://www.thumperta...t=218568&page=2

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • don319

Posted April 11, 2005 - 04:11 AM

I have an '00 YZ that I use for woods. Go up 2 on the back. I have a stock flywheel and it works fine.
WR suspension is way better in the woods, especially if there are a lot of roots and logs.

• OldenPhatt

Posted April 11, 2005 - 06:46 AM

How much and where can I get a Rekluse auto-clutch from? Does it change anything else on the bike?

You can order it from their website but it also can be found on the TT store (always nice to support the nice folks who provide us with this wonderful site!) It's fairly easy to install. Do a search on "rekluse" on this forum and you'll find a wealth of information--as well as stellar customer reviews.

• Dano426

Posted April 11, 2005 - 07:00 AM

I need to slow down my '01 426. I am trying to ride on some slower trails and my bike is just too fast and stalls to easy. I was told to raise the number of teeth on the rear sprocket and it will lower the speed. Also I was looking in to a flywheel weight to hopefully stop the stalling. Does any have any advice without saying go by a WR. I ride mainly trails and fire road type terrian in Florida where it is either very sandy or very wet and not much in between. I occasionally will head to the track but very rarely.

I agree with OldenPhatt! I installed a Z-start on my 01 YZ426 and now have fun riding trails agian. Best money I have ever spent :naughty:

• beasleys

Posted April 11, 2005 - 07:06 AM

I know this is shot in the dark but, does anyone have a 12 oz. weight that they would want to part with?

• beasleys

Posted April 11, 2005 - 07:24 AM

For the ones that are running weights. Are you running the added weight to your stock flywheel or have you replaced to the whole flywheel for another heavier one. I was looking on the the stealthy website and they have two options, $150 for the added weight to your flywheel or $200 for the complete new flywheel. Are there any pros or cons to each other than being cheaper?

• Goosedog

Posted April 11, 2005 - 08:55 AM

Spend the extra $ and get the complete weight. The bolt-on could decide to un-bolt. :naughty:

• cowboyona426

Posted April 11, 2005 - 10:07 AM

A quick, easy, and cheap test is to buy a 1 tooth and 2 tooth smaller front sprocket and try that. Stock gearing is 14/49- for a long time I ran 12/49 and I really liked it when the going gets tight or steep. I'm currently running 13/52, which is basically the same as the 12/49 setup. I'm really thinking of changing to 14/52 though, lately I feel like I'm running out of steam too fast. A new front sprocket will only run about $12, and it's way cheaper and easier to change than the rear until you figure out what you like.

• markvan

Posted April 11, 2005 - 07:53 PM

I had the same problem with the stalling at first. You'll get a better feel for driving the bike in the slow stuff after a while... Another easy trick is to turn your idle up just a bit, I found that it helped a lot for the stalling in the tight and slow stuff, made a big difference.....

• firezwr426

Posted April 12, 2005 - 04:06 PM

one tooth up front is about equal to 3 in the rear... make your big change up front, then you can fine tune it with the rear... :naughty:

• simimi

Posted April 13, 2005 - 06:16 AM

just one more input, change the sprockets. Front sprocket from www.rockymountainmc.com = $5.99, and while the rekluse sounds great, it is in the $400 range.

I went down 2 teeth in the front and think that will work best. When I get new chain and sprockets I will 'balance' it out, as I hear the smaller fronts wear chains faster, so I will add as many as I can to the back, and add back to the front, so instead of 12/50 like I am now, I may end up with a 13/53.

one in the front equals about 3 in the back, and the fronts are easier to replace, and WAY cheaper.

Mike

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.