Smoky on startup Xr6

4 replies to this topic
  • johno74

Posted April 10, 2005 - 02:39 AM

Hi Everybody,

My '92 xr6 that has only done about 20k has just started smoking quite heavily on startup and eventually clears more or less. It happened all of a sudden...

I'm thinking stem seals or rings at fault. Is there anything that these engines are prone to? Is there anything obvious that i've missed?

thanks

• bootlegger2

Posted April 10, 2005 - 03:32 AM

if it smokes only at the start up and not while riding its just seals if it keeps on smoking while riding then i would say rings
just kee an eye on the oil level especially if you ride it mx style

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • frankstr

Posted April 10, 2005 - 05:23 AM

Probly valve stem seals................

• johno74

Posted April 10, 2005 - 07:25 AM

Fair enough if its seals.
I can run it (keeping an eye on the oil level) for the time being then...?
thanks

• AzXr628

Posted April 10, 2005 - 02:58 PM

I just went through the same problem.So we did a valve job and replaced the seals ,But only did a visual on the cylinder(didn't take apart).Wish I had now we are taking the whole thing apart to check the piston,rings and cylinder.Live and learn might get it back running before we hit 100+ temperatures

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.